feedings for my stars..

Status
Not open for further replies.

DemonDrug95

5 Year Member
im confused as i search to most website in the internets and i only trust this website..so
1.how much calcium intake for a 3 inch baby stars
2.what greens should they take and should not take
3.what does the sun do??im confused
4.should the baby go for afternoon walk when its sunny?
5.how often do baby torts need to soak
thats all :D these are the only problems im confused hope any of u can help me thx

1.1.0 turkey
2.9.0 chicken
1.1.0 hamster
0.0.1 black marsh turtle
0.0.2 indian star tortoise
0.0.1 sri lankan star tortoise
1.0.0 unkown stray dog
1.0.0 cat
tons of fish

Starry night

5 Year Member
WOW! That's all I can say.

DemonDrug95 said:
im confused as i search to most website in the internets and i only trust this website..so
1.how much calcium intake for a 3 inch baby stars
2.what greens should they take and should not take
3.what does the sun do??im confused
4.should the baby go for afternoon walk when its sunny?
5.how often do baby torts need to soak
thats all :D these are the only problems im confused hope any of u can help me thx

1.1.0 turkey
2.9.0 chicken
1.1.0 hamster
0.0.1 black marsh turtle
1.0.0 unkown stray dog
1.0.0 cat
tons of fish

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
1. just a pinch of powder between your thumb and forefinger about 3 times a week over the greens
2. I'm unfamiliar with the kinds of greens you can buy in your country, but here in the U.S. we feed the dark, leafy greens like escarole, endive, turnip greens, etc.
3. The sun gives off rays that help the tortoise to be able to digest the calcium. If you can't use real sunshine, then you can use calcium with D3.
4. Its always nice to allow the tortoises outside when weather permits. But a safe, secure area is best.
5. There are different opinions on this. I soak babies at least 3 times a week. If you think your baby is dehydrated then soak it. If you see him drink on his own, maybe he doesn't need to soak. Only you can say.

All of the above are from a person who has absolutely NO knowledge of the star tortoise! :D

DemonDrug95

5 Year Member
WOW thats great...thx emysemys for helping me out :D
and about the greens ive heard that star should be fed high fiber foods like grasses is it true?

1.1.0 turkey
2.9.0 chicken
1.1.0 hamster
0.0.1 black marsh turtle
1.0.0 unkown stray dog
1.0.0 cat
tons of fish

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Like I said, I know nothing about star tortoises. But if that's what you heard then its probably correct. I have a sulcata, and he's supposed to eat high fiber foods too. He only eats grass and occasionally mulberry leaves. Can you find grass to feed to your star? Maybe you can buy some grassy hay at a feed store.

kimber_lee_314

10 Year Member!
So Cal
I'm new to Stars (but not new to tortoises) and here's what I'm doing. I give mine calcium once a week and TNT once a week. (I feed them every other day.) Mine are eating mulberry, rose, and grape leaves, cactus pads, escarole, raddichio, kale, endive, spring mix, and dandelions - as far as greens go. I put mine outside every day I can (when it's over 70) to graze on grass and weeds. I have a shallow saucer of water in their enclosure that I put them in every other day. They can climb out on their own. Sometimes they stay for a while and soak, sometimes they don't. I've only had these Stars for a short while, and at first they weren't doing so well, but now they are doing great - eating like pigs and gaining weight. I hope this was helpful for you! :)

DemonDrug95

5 Year Member
thx kimber_lee_314
:D now im gonna buy some grasses and hays plus dark greenies for my tortoises :D

1.1.0 turkey
2.9.0 chicken
1.1.0 hamster
0.0.1 black marsh turtle
1.0.0 unkown stray dog
1.0.0 cat
tons of fish

DemonDrug95

5 Year Member
thx terry ..its so hard to find any good source of grass over here cause most of it is just right next to roads :C

jobeanator

10 Year Member!
northern new york
if you've ever kept leopards there care is quite similar. if your stars a baby, id soak him 4-5 times a week. stars need a dry but humid enviroment. whenever its nice out and the temperatures are good, defently take your star out. any tortoise benefits the natural sunlight!

tjm1302

5 Year Member
kimber_lee_314 said:
I'm new to Stars (but not new to tortoises) and here's what I'm doing. I give mine calcium once a week and TNT once a week. (I feed them every other day.) Mine are eating mulberry, rose, and grape leaves, cactus pads, escarole, raddichio, kale, endive, spring mix, and dandelions - as far as greens go. I put mine outside every day I can (when it's over 70) to graze on grass and weeds. I have a shallow saucer of water in their enclosure that I put them in every other day. They can climb out on their own. Sometimes they stay for a while and soak, sometimes they don't. I've only had these Stars for a short while, and at first they weren't doing so well, but now they are doing great - eating like pigs and gaining weight. I hope this was helpful for you! :)

I got my Star only 4 days ago and he ate well for the 1st 24 hours... but now is prefering to hide ALL THE TIME. I hope this is normal, cos i am really worried about him. Any advice is most welcome and appreiciated.

Status
Not open for further replies.