Do I need more lights?

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
just found both on Amazon , the bulb is just over $17 and so is the fixture. His enclosure has wire like shelves over parts for plants and things I'f the bulbs don't get to hot I may be able to just set them on the top?
They don't get hot. They only generate a tiny amount of warmth from the transformer inside.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
They don't even sell loose U.V. tubes.
And every single "kit" is full of junk.
Mention it to the manager? He's about 17 and in full 1980s goth makeup.

Attachments

• 20190924_115523.jpg
    20190924_115523.jpg
    4.1 MB · Views: 10

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
I wish he would just eat, hes been moving a bit more and I ordered different lights.... hopefully that helps because worrying IS tense work
How about offering a food that is a no no food. But would provide some nutrition. Not much. Some hydration and might stimulate eating like a slice of cucumber?
What have you been offering him to eat?

Kylee L.

Jacksonville, FL
How about offering a food that is a no no food. But would provide some nutrition. Not much. Some hydration and might stimulate eating like a slice of cucumber?
What have you been offering him to eat?
succulent , dandelion, holly hock leaves, hibiscus, cactus, African violet ...a little of everything

Kylee L.

Jacksonville, FL
@Yvonne G
Who on this forum would be one of our go to Russian keepers?
The OP needs help with getting hers to eat and correcting the lighting wasn't a quick cure.
I just ordered new lighting today..I did a free trial with Amazon prime so they will be here sooner!! I'll get some cucumber this evening ! thank you for helping

Kylee L.

Jacksonville, FL
I am fortunate that my local pet shop which is only 1 mile away stocks fluorescent uvb tubes along a bunch of other goodies. Not perfect but much better than average
my main shop I go to may have had some 5.0 but are WAY over priced and a new shop I checked out had 1 tube light. ..1 and the guy wasn't sure what to use it for...I ordered my stuff prime today. Mikey was up and moving, smelled the cucumber then walked his entire encloser aand buried himself lol. at least he's up and moving I guess

Blackdog1714

5 Year Member
Richmond, VA
I am an Amazon junky. I price shop and sometimes its a Local store, but for the most part between the price and quick shipping its not even close.I always keep an extra bulb/che for just in case. The wife is not excited about the extra clutter, but even she understands a need for the best care. I promise a calm is coming. TFO provided a NEWB like me with the knowledge and help to become an excellent Tort dad. We are here to help each other!

Kylee L.

Jacksonville, FL
I am an Amazon junky. I price shop and sometimes its a Local store, but for the most part between the price and quick shipping its not even close.I always keep an extra bulb/che for just in case. The wife is not excited about the extra clutter, but even she understands a need for the best care. I promise a calm is coming. TFO provided a NEWB like me with the knowledge and help to become an excellent Tort dad. We are here to help each other!
lol, me too, my co works tell me I am single handedly closing stores because of höre much I shop on Amazon. that's a good idea, I have extra stuff in a bin under his enclosure. He was exploring last night after his bath, his eyes are clear and bright always fully open, when he decides to own them lol shook he seems to be ok

Viola B

5 Year Member
Idaho Falls, Idaho
It is stressful when your new tortoise doesn't want to eat. Each tortoise is different in how it handles a new enclosure. It sometimes takes time before they will eat.
You are offering it good food to eat. Keep up the good work. One day very soon it will surprise you and start eating.

Kylee L.

Jacksonville, FL
It is stressful when your new tortoise doesn't want to eat. Each tortoise is different in how it handles a new enclosure. It sometimes takes time before they will eat.
You are offering it good food to eat. Keep up the good work. One day very soon it will surprise you and start eating.
you are all so wonderful!! I hope so, it new lights are arriving Friday, got the fixtures today. About to drop in some fresh leafy greens for him