Do indoor habitats get stinky?

daniel laggner

Hi All!

I am planning on purchasing a 6 month old Pardalis pardalis (giant south african leopard) from a breeder who specializes in that subspecies. I have an outdoor sulcata, and her poops and sleeping house are pretty stinky.

I'll have to keep our new juvenile tortoise in the house for a few months of the year in a table habitat. I was just curious, for those of you who have indoor habitats, do they get stinky?

Kasia

Location (City and/or State)
Poland
Hi All!

I am planning on purchasing a 6 month old Pardalis pardalis (giant south african leopard) from a breeder who specializes in that subspecies. I have an outdoor sulcata, and her poops and sleeping house are pretty stinky.

I'll have to keep our new juvenile tortoise in the house for a few months of the year in a table habitat. I was just curious, for those of you who have indoor habitats, do they get stinky?
Nope if you clean their poop:) Mine it's normal animal smell and not barn likish.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Daniel, and welcome to the Forum!

If you are industrious about keeping things clean, then even your sulcata's house should not smell. I pick up the poop in the outside sheds daily and mop up the pee with shavings which I then pick up. On the indoor habitats, I spot clean and also pick up any trampled in old food daily.

Slow and steady

S.E. Florida
Hi Daniel, Healthy leo poos aren't terribly stinky, assuming you get to them before they get stepped in and dragged around the enclosure. You mentioned a table habitat. I don't mean to be presumptuous, but if it's uncovered, it's not going to give you the heat and humidity you need for a healhty tort. Take a look at the leo care sheet on this forum, or the enclosures thread fro some ideas and info. (I'd include a link if I thought I could do it right ;) Good luck.

daniel laggner

Hi Daniel, Healthy leo poos aren't terribly stinky, assuming you get to them before they get stepped in and dragged around the enclosure. You mentioned a table habitat. I don't mean to be presumptuous, but if it's uncovered, it's not going to give you the heat and humidity you need for a healhty tort. Take a look at the leo care sheet on this forum, or the enclosures thread fro some ideas and info. (I'd include a link if I thought I could do it right ;) Good luck.

Thank you! I'm doing a ton of research and talking to the breeder about habitat and environmental conditions, but I have not looked at the leo care sheet you mentioned yet! I'll dig it up and read that too!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hi All!

Hello and welcome.

You will love your new tortoise. I've been raising that type for several years now and mine are just now reaching adulthood and laying eggs for me. They are an amazing tortoise.

To answer your question: These are no different than any other tortoise as far as smell goes. My indoor enclosures don't stink at all, unless there is a large fresh poo, and I remove that on sight.

Here is the care info on how to raise them. I don't know who yours is coming from, but most breeders start babies far too dry. Check these out:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/how-to-raise-a-healthy-sulcata-or-leopard-version-2-0.79895/
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/

The title of this one says "sulcata", but I feed my baby SA leopards EXACTLY the same. Regular leopards don't eat as much grass or hay, but SA leopards do. http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/for-those-who-have-a-young-sulcata.76744/

Here is more on WHY you should raise them according to that care sheet:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/the-end-of-pyramiding-ii-the-leopards.18931/