Do tortoise yawn?

William Lee Kohler

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Eugene, OR
My goodness! Stop scaring the poor guy! (girl)

I was under the impression that tortoises have what's called a Jackobson Organ in the roof of their mouth that they use to "taste" or enhance smells to help them find food. Yawning is what it looks like when they are using said organ to look for the scents of food.

I wrong?

I believe so. Snakes and Monitors(forked tongues)touch their food or taste the air with tongue and bring back to mouth. I've watched my tortoises smell their food with their nose many times. They put it right up against it. Ones that eat carrion seem to be able to smell it at a distance from what I've read. Some tortoises like food that's really smelly like their own poo and over ripe fruit.;)

kellya31

Indiana
Its cute, yeah? I didnt even think of it, he just yawned will I was trying to take a good picture and video of him.
Thanks!

kellya31

Indiana
I believe so. Snakes and Monitors(forked tongues)touch their food or taste the air with tongue and bring back to mouth. I've watched my tortoises smell their food with their nose many times. They put it right up against it. Ones that eat carrion seem to be able to smell it at a distance from what I've read. Some tortoises like food that's really smelly like their own poo and over ripe fruit.;)

Bobby is liking old soft food. I was going to clean out his enclosure this am, and he was eating a nasty strawberry.

kellya31

Indiana
I have the CHE on now, I finally got it. It stays alot warmer now and he is more active. THanks for the advice, I had never heard of one. I had to raise it, when I tested it I was trying to cook HIM! it was 110 degrees. That was only for a very short time. Its now at a steady 90 degrees when raised.

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
My spoiled tortoise yawns every time he sees me "if" he is hungry other wise he just pumps... But with Gamera a Yawn means "feed me Seymour" and if I ignore him he will keep yawning until you get him a dandelion or some Mazuri in any form.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
I have the CHE on now, I finally got it. It stays alot warmer now and he is more active. THanks for the advice, I had never heard of one. I had to raise it, when I tested it I was trying to cook HIM! it was 110 degrees. That was only for a very short time. Its now at a steady 90 degrees when raised.

It’s really a good idea to connect a thermostat to your CHE in order to maintain a constant temp 24/7. This prevents cooking, not a good thing.

Here is one that many of us use - https://www.lllreptile.com/products/13883-zilla-1000-watt-temperature-controller