Does anyone have experience with Hingeback Torts?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MamaPickles11

5 Year Member
I was wondering if someone with experience with Hingeback Torts could help me. There is an adorable hingeback at the pet store and I feel absolutely terrible because he's been there for over 6 months. I currently have a Russian and I would love to take the Hingeback in but I need to know some things about them:

1. Is there care similar to a Russian? Do they eat the same things? Have the same enclosure?
2. I wouldn't put them together to live but I frequently let my Russian out to wonder the house. Would my Russian get along with the Hingeback?

Any info is greatly appreciated! Thanks!:)

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
A Land Far Away...
I have a little hingeback experience. :D

I am guessing this is a Homes hingeback? Or what type is it? Some of the hingebacks (like erosa and Homes) need a high humidity level and cooler temps then your Russian, plus a lower light level. The Bells and spekii would handle the light and temps better, but still not as much heat or as high of light as your Russian. Diet, especially if one of the forest hingebacks (erosa and homes) are going to want and need a higher amount of fruit and protein. Once more the bells and spekii are closer to the Russian in form of diet, but they too will want fruit and protein. So they are not real compatible with the Russian's care.

As for allowing them to run loose in a shared house's floor, I would not recommend that either. The hingebacks are also more active normally then a Russian and arguably more escape artists.

MamaPickles11

5 Year Member
Jacqui said:
I have a little hingeback experience. :D

I am guessing this is a Homes hingeback? Or what type is it? Some of the hingebacks (like erosa and Homes) need a high humidity level and cooler temps then your Russian, plus a lower light level. The Bells and spekii would handle the light and temps better, but still not as much heat or as high of light as your Russian. Diet, especially if one of the forest hingebacks (erosa and homes) are going to want and need a higher amount of fruit and protein. Once more the bells and spekii are closer to the Russian in form of diet, but they too will want fruit and protein. So they are not real compatible with the Russian's care.

As for allowing them to run loose in a shared house's floor, I would not recommend that either. The hingebacks are also more active normally then a Russian and arguably more escape artists.

This is what s/he looks like:

http://www.dkimages.com/discover/Ho...back-Tortoise/Serrated-Hinge-back-Tort-4.html

So is that an erosa?

Itort

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Iowa
This is a Homes hinge back . It wil need a humid, low light environment with a deep substrat. As Jacqui pointed out it is an omnivore needing both vegetable and animal food. A large wading, soaking bowl is well used. I would suggest having a fecal done as they often carry a heavy parasite load.

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Is that the actual animal or just something that you found that reminds you of it?

If you look at this thread:

http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread-11491.html

you will see that on the Homes hingeback, the drop off at the rear of the tortoise is a quick drop, while on the Erosa is lacks the bump and makes a more gentle curved drop. The animal in your picture exhibits the bump and quick drop of the Homes.

On these two examples can you see on the first tortoise it has what appears to be a gentle curve along the back, but the second one comes to a knob and a sudden stop along the back which then drops off like a vertical drop cliff?

Erosa
108.jpg

Homes
044-1.jpg

Another example of the Homes appearance:

040-1.jpg

MamaPickles11

5 Year Member
Jacqui said:
Is that the actual animal or just something that you found that reminds you of it?

If you look at this thread:

http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread-11491.html

you will see that on the Homes hingeback, the drop off at the rear of the tortoise is a quick drop, while on the Erosa is lacks the bump and makes a more gentle curved drop. The animal in your picture exhibits the bump and quick drop of the Homes.

On these two examples can you see on the first tortoise it has what appears to be a gentle curve along the back, but the second one comes to a knob and a sudden stop along the back which then drops off like a vertical drop cliff?

Erosa
108.jpg

Homes
044-1.jpg

Another example of the Homes appearance:

040-1.jpg

The link i posted reminded me of it but after reviewing the pictures I have on my phone and the pictures you posted it definitely looks like a Homes.

Itort said:
This is a Homes hinge back . It wil need a humid, low light environment with a deep substrat. As Jacqui pointed out it is an omnivore needing both vegetable and animal food. A large wading, soaking bowl is well used. I would suggest having a fecal done as they often carry a heavy parasite load.

I have a few questions for you:

1. How big of an enclosure should I have? Would a 55 gallon rubbermaid tub like I have for my Russian be big enough?

2. What do you mean by low light environment?

3. How do I keep the environment humid and what is the best substrate I can use to keep the environment humid?

Itort

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Iowa
1. I would suggest a 4' x 2' x 12" to 18" enclosure (this is the size I keep mine in). 2. By low light I mean ambient room light (direct lighting is not needed or welcome). A hide on the cool side and warm side will be used. 3. I cover 1/2 to 3/4 of enclosure a plastic lid (such as come with rubbermaid tubs), mist twice daily (a plant mister works well) till water drips off top or the tort itself. I use a mixture of 1/2 organic humis and 1/2 cypress mulch with a top dressing of leaves. A note I have noticed that more brushy decorations (I use prunings from bushes) the more you will see of them. With substrate I throw a container of earthworms in for them to forage for (and it also keeps the substrate sweet). You will find that active period is early morning and late afternoon.

MamaPickles11

5 Year Member
Itort said:
1. I would suggest a 4' x 2' x 12" to 18" enclosure (this is the size I keep mine in). 2. By low light I mean ambient room light (direct lighting is not needed or welcome). A hide on the cool side and warm side will be used. 3. I cover 1/2 to 3/4 of enclosure a plastic lid (such as come with rubbermaid tubs), mist twice daily (a plant mister works well) till water drips off top or the tort itself. I use a mixture of 1/2 organic humis and 1/2 cypress mulch with a top dressing of leaves. A note I have noticed that more brushy decorations (I use prunings from bushes) the more you will see of them. With substrate I throw a container of earthworms in for them to forage for (and it also keeps the substrate sweet). You will find that active period is early morning and late afternoon.

Thank you so much! Ill continue to research them and if he's still there after Christmas I may get him. In a way he'd fit in well with the rest of my animals because they are all trouble makers! :)

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
I think you will like them. They (atleast to me) are nothing like the Russian tortoise, which makes life more interesting. It can be hard to get them eating greens, but do keep pushing for him to not be come a fruit addict, especially bananas. Is this a male or female? Can't recall if you ever said.

MamaPickles11

5 Year Member
Hey guys,

I just wanted to give you an update. I went into the pet store yesterday and someone finally bought the hingeback tort. :) Now let's just hope he went to a good home where his new owners have done the research in order to take proper care of him.

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
:( Darn, I was hoping you would be getting him. I agree, hopefully somebody who researched got him. Maybe they will even show up here some day.

Status
Not open for further replies.