Considering adding a hingeback to the family

Status
Not open for further replies.

ColorfulTortoise

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
New England
I have had my russian tortoise, Shorty, for a few months now. He has brought me lots of joy. He is very mischievous and incredibly personable. I posted some new pictures of his typical "Shorty Face' at the bottom of the thread.

I have been researching hingeback tortoises for a while now (I read thetoroiselibrary's caresheet and the caresheet by Kristina). Their uniqueness fascinates me. I was wondering if there were any special things or tips I should know regarding the husbandry of the hingeback tortoise. I was also curious about some good places/people to purchase one from would be.

Thank you. :tort:

Attachments

• 0.jpeg
    0.jpeg
    6.6 KB · Views: 49

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
The erosa have become my personal favorite of the four types I work with. However, I also think it can be the most difficult in many ways. You have a Russian, it's funny it was because of a trio of hingebacks that I went from my old man Russian into having a group of them. They made this wonderful foil for the hingebacks. The Russians were like keeping pigs, they ate anything and everything and with great gusto. Russians are tough little guys which seem to be able to take a lot of hard life knocks and still keep on coming. Hingebacks, especially the erosa, are total polar opposites. While most of them are only mildly picky, they still are not pigs when it comes to eating. I have had individuals who took a year before I could have peace of mind that they were eating and eating a variety of foods. Once more, more the erosa (with Home's next) are really picky about their humidity and lighting preferences. They want hides and privacy, but can and do get to the point where they can be extremely outgoing and personable. Another thing to prepare yourself for, is a sudden unexplained death thing. It happens long after you stop worrying about your tortoise and think you have it made that they are healthy, "happy" and adjusted. Hingebacks can be the most fabulous animals, but they are not for the weak hearted or those who lack time and patience. It seems a person either has a good experience with them or a rotten one, very few are in the middle grounds.

So are you not liking the Russians that much? Not wanting to perhaps breed them? Or just wanting something different?

ColorfulTortoise

5 Year Member
New England
Thanks for the advice, Jacqui. I love my russian tortoise, Shorty a lot. He is very fun to observe. I am not really interested in breeding russians at the moment. I am just wanting something a bit different. Would you recommend certain types of hingebacks over others? I have a member of my family that is skilled in woodworking. Would a 4 x 6 wooden tortoise table work for an adult hingeback (or is that not efficient enough for keeping humidity in?)

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
The Bells and spekii are going to be the most like your Russian as far as foods, lights, and temps. Not exactly the same, but closer then the erosa and home's would want/need. The erosa and homes are going to want the higher humdity levels then the other two also.

ColorfulTortoise

5 Year Member
New England
Thank you. I'll research more about those types of hingebacks specifically. There are not many tortoises for sale in my area. I'm not really sure where to start looking..

Feeding time is always interesting with Shorty. He always eats when he thinks I'm not looking.

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Are you thinking a youngster or older? Does it bother you if it is a wild caught one instead of captive bred?

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
:D I have to admit, I have not had as much ease with my speki as the rest. However, they are the one I would recommend from what I am sensing from you. Sounds like you would do better with the Bells or speki, but the bells are hard to find. There are currectly a couple of places selling the spekii. With hingebacks, it is not too common to find CB (captive born) for sale.

Joiner

5 Year Member
I am by no means an expert, but a happy accident ended with us getting a Home's Hingeback. And what a personality! He absolutely rules the house. This is Bowie's House and we just live here to feed and serve him. Haha. I remember I was outside with the dogs and when I came to the sliding glass door, he was sitting there, clawing to get outside, that is when I discovered what an escape artist these guys are. But he really is our little joy.

Tortoise

10 Year Member!
Canada
I have 2 bells boys.They are extremely rare here and I was lucky to be able to purchase them.
they are captive bred too.
I enjoy their uniqueness too.they are pretty in my opinion and I will probably never relax about their care.They are picky but over time my list of fave foods is slowly increasing.
they are secretive, watchful and you can't sneak up on them to watch feeding etc they always see me-very very observant.Some days they just carry on feeding regardless of the nosy owner and others they prefer their privacy.

They lose all shyness for a worm-I learned to use forceps not my fingers as they attack their worms like a snake would strike for a food item(not sure if this is normal)-I was caught unawares once...hahaha They are fun to watch with the worms etc as they forget about being shy as they love their worms! They will always take a pinky too if they are offered.

They fascinate me and stress me out too but I love them and care for them.
I feel so sad about the numbers of hinges that came to N.America and died quickly of parasites and they their care was unknown and to this day there is very little info published on these species.They are truly under-rated and need more attention.

Its great the hinge owners are sharing their trials and success here so we can all continue to learn.

I'm not experienced with hinges and have only had my guys for 15mths now and they continue to intrigue me.

Thank goodness for JACQUI_you are so needed here and we appreciate you so very much!!!!

I have other species too which I can relax about -Hermanns and Red foots in particular as they are tough, eat everything and are predictable.
I wouldn't be without the Bells though-they are my challenge and I will never give up on trying to find them a perfect partner some day and I dream of having an opportunity to breed these wonderful tortoises.

Status
Not open for further replies.