Does anyone "preserve" their tort or turtle after it passes away?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tortus

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Maryland
I'm not sure if this is too debatable or not, but I came across this video when I was searching youtube (shows turtle skeleton):

[video=youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oz9Qfx0TRVo[/video]

It made me think of that American Stuffers show where people would have their pets preserved and set them somewhere in the house.

Personally, this isn't something I could do with a tortoise, dog, or any other pet. But a lot of people seem to like the idea.

EricIvins

5 Year Member
I usually wind up giving most away, but I have had all sorts of shells over the years. I don't see anything wrong with it......

Q'sTortie

5 Year Member
Tampa, Florida
I always thought the scientific shadow box with a full skeleton was cool. I have thought of having it professionally done before. But I wouldn't want to have a shelf full of them though. I think the emotional attachment would make it kinda creepy and sad.

yagyujubei

5 Year Member
Amish Country
Personally I wouldn't want the evidence of one of my failures staring at me accusingly. However, Large specimins in good condition would have a value to taxidermists.I would bet that a large attractive leopard could fetch $500, a big aldabra, certainly in the thousands.

Tortus

5 Year Member
Maryland
I imagine to preserve the whole thing it would have to be freeze dried by a professional taxidermist. Do you think the shells alone would bring that much?

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
Shells from large and/or rare species can be valuable. I sold a large, nearly perfect Leopard tortoise shell that I had for years just sitting in a box for $120 on ebay about a year ago.

Tortus

5 Year Member
Maryland
I just looked on eBay and saw a box turtle ash tray. It has the head and all...

Don't think I like I would like to pluck ashes in something like that, but to each his own. I imagine something like that was more popular during another era.

CourtneyAndCarl

5 Year Member
Middle of nowhere
I wouldn't be able to rip apart my baby like that, even if he was dead.... I would maybe be able to do have someone else do it but.... I dunno.

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
futureleopardtortoise said:
I wouldn't be able to rip apart my baby like that, even if he was dead.... I would maybe be able to do have someone else do it but.... I dunno.

:tort:

cmitch

5 Year Member
Reno nv
I came across this same video couldent watch it to disturbing for me to even watch let alone do, but i do not look down or think its wrong for someone wanting to.

mattgrizzlybear

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
RE: Does anyone "preserve" their tort or turtle after it passes away?

I have seen this movie before also. Couldnt finish it either.

l0velesly

10 Year Member!
Lynnwood, WA
Yuck, I could never do such a thing. It was hard watching the guy take everything out :/

Tortus

5 Year Member
Maryland
For those who do save shells, do you use the same method as in the video?

diaboliqueturtle

5 Year Member
Toronto, Canada
RE: Does anyone "preserve" their tort or turtle after it passes away?

I don't see anything wrong with that at all. I really don't think I could do that with my babies though, I'd be way too emotional every time I'd look at the shells. I still get teary eyed when I think/talk about my Crystal ball who died about 20 years ago...

ahhwataday

5 Year Member
Rockville, VA
I think that dude has pet turtles for their shells. Return it to the earth and leave it there..my opinion

Status
Not open for further replies.