Does gender matter?

TacoTortoise

Location (City and/or State)
Capital of California
Im going to get a tortoise in 6-12 months or more, so i'm trying to get as much information as i can before i get one.
What i want to Know is, does gender matter, if so what gender should i get? My friend said if i get a male tortoise and don't not get a female tortoise then the male will get grumpy. I doubt this is true but I might be wrong. So is thsi true? If it this is true then is there any other differences?

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Males are grumpy naturally. It is not true. In the wild another tortoise is usually viewed as something to fight with, or mate with, often timesbboth. Get one have a happy tortoise gender noptwithstanding.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Generally speaking, males are more outgoing and bold. Not always though.

Whether it "matters" and which gender you prefer is entirely personal preference.

russian/sulcata/tortoise

5 Year Member
Northern California, bay area
you getting a russina right? i have a male and female russian. the female has always been a lot more friendly. if you get a male russina make sure not to house it with a female russian cause the male will harass her till she dies.

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
I will have my yard full with tortoise eatable grass......6 month before I have my first torts....If I can start it over over again.

But I'm doing not bad so far! ! !

TacoTortoise

Capital of California
you getting a russina right? i have a male and female russian. the female has always been a lot more friendly. if you get a male russina make sure not to house it with a female russian cause the male will harass her till she dies.

My friend knows a breeder in my area that only breeds greeks so i might be getting a greek tortoise.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Im going to get a tortoise in 6-12 months or more, so i'm trying to get as much information as i can before i get one.
What i want to Know is, does gender matter, if so what gender should i get? My friend said if i get a male tortoise and don't not get a female tortoise then the male will get grumpy. I doubt this is true but I might be wrong. So is thsi true? If it this is true then is there any other differences?

Gender is not always an indicator of temper/grumpiness....truly that is a bred in trait.....if you have a single tortoise you will likely see a scale of behaviors within that one tortoise...also, unless you get a tortoise sexed to determine male/female--then you will not be able to accurately sex a tortoise until it is near adult....so?

smarch

5 Year Member
Massachusetts
I've also heard the thing about males being more outgoing, which my Russian would fit into, but it really all depends on the individual not the sex.
Nope males wont get grumpy or anything without a female, in fact keeping the 2 together isn't a good idea for reasons stated by others above.
it really doesn't matter, and if you're getting a hatchling from a breeder you wont be able to know for sure anyways.
One thing that made me specifically want a male was the possibility of eggs and become egg bound, but I just learned recently how wrong I was about that since most females wont create eggs unless in the presence of a male.