Does his shell look healthy?

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Kent, South East England
Lots of white growth lines and yes, there are the first signs of pyramidding there. It all looks a bit dry. It will become less obvious with growth if you sort the enclosure out (pictures will help us to help you)

Are you keeping the enclosure humid? Do you measure the humidity with a digital hygrometer?

Turtleneck123

Lots of white growth lines and yes, there are the first signs of pyramidding there. It all looks a bit dry. It will become less obvious with growth if you sort the enclosure out (pictures will help us to help you)

Are you keeping the enclosure humid? Do you measure the humidity with a digital hygrometer?
His substrate is coco coir and I keep it moist and he has a water bowl. His shell was always like that since I got him... Is that a problem? Also will the white growth lines become like the rest of his shell? I will post more pictures

cmacusa3

5 Year Member
Bixby
I think it looks good, I don't see any issues. He looks almost full grown, And personally don't see any reason to worry.

Turtleneck123

I think it looks good, I don't see any issues. He looks almost full grown, And personally don't see any reason to worry.
Thank you! Will the white line eventually become like the rest of his shell? Does he need more calcium? It has been like that for quite a while

cmacusa3

5 Year Member
Bixby
How much calcium are you giving now vs actual time outside? My experience isn't with Russians but I've had box turtles with growth lines like that and yes the went away as the turtle aged. Don't worry so much about the cosmetics, If he is healthy and eating that's all you should worry about at this point.

Turtleneck123

How much calcium are you giving now vs actual time outside? My experience isn't with Russians but I've had box turtles with growth lines like that and yes the went away as the turtle aged. Don't worry so much about the cosmetics, If he is healthy and eating that's all you should worry about at this point.
He goes outside every other day for an hour, gets liquid calcium twice a week on his food, also has variety of greens that are good for tortoises and he's active and eating but the growth lines just didn't seem to go away so I got worried... But thank you for your help :)

cmacusa3

5 Year Member
Bixby
I copied this off the caresheet. I'm sure @Tom can help with more questions. He is very knowledgable when it comes to Russians

ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1471572439.079934.jpg

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
He goes outside every other day for an hour, gets liquid calcium twice a week on his food, also has variety of greens that are good for tortoises and he's active and eating but the growth lines just didn't seem to go away so I got worried... But thank you for your help :)
Do you give your tort daily soaks in warm water? If not, then please do. This will stop the pyramiding where it is: it won't get worse.

SarahChelonoidis

5 Year Member
Toronto, Canada
This looks like an adult, wild caught Russian that has been well in its recent captive life. Pyramiding isn't really a concern with mature tortoises. I would not worry about it. If aesthetics are important, focus on even growth lines.

cmacusa3

5 Year Member
Bixby
This looks like an adult, wild caught Russian that has been well in its recent captive life. Pyramiding isn't really a concern with mature tortoises. I would not worry about it. If aesthetics are important, focus on even growth lines.
Well said and I agree 100%

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
He gets soaks every other day but I will soak him daily now :)
Please do. What is the climate like back there? If it's dry (like it is here), then a tort needs a daily soak so as to stay on the safe side.;) "Better be safe than sorry." ;)

Turtleneck123

Please do. What is the climate like back there? If it's dry (like it is here), then a tort needs a daily soak so as to stay on the safe side.;) "Better be safe than sorry." ;)
I live in Houston, Texas and it is very humid here... I will still give him daily soaks :) but what made you think it was pyramiding? Just wondering :)

cmacusa3

5 Year Member
Bixby
You don't have to soak an adult tortoise everyday, that's just up to you. Houston has great weather for torts and Like I said before, he looks great.