Does my tortoise have a healthy shell?

sibi

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Florida, USA
Looks a little pyramiding, but otherwise, it looks good. Have you provided uva/uvb lighting or natural sunlight? How old is he/she, and how long have you had him? Have you provided humidity in his enclosure and for how long?

redfootmaui

Maui
Thanks for the reply:) She is about 3-4 years old and lives outside and gets natural sunlight. The humidity here is a constant 50-80%.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
50% humidity is not adequate and you will get more and more pyramiding.
can you ad a sprinkler a few times a day during the dryer months?
Here, when the humidity gets that low, my pens have a misting system that makes it "rain".
Do you have any water features? You'll find that Redfoot will spend HOURS just soaking in the water.
It's fantastic that yours live outside, BTW.;)

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
Maui? As in Hawaii? Dang, dude. You should be able to just let your tort roam in a decent sized outdoor pen and live on the falling fruit and stuff in the area! That should be prime tort habitat!

I'd bet that most of the pyramiding came from when it was young and kept indoors in a drier habitat. (For example, an aquarium or tub with a heater in a house with a/c (which makes very dry air) is hard to keep good humidity in.

Moderate amounts of pyramiding so not seem to affect the torts and even occur in some wild populations, like some more arid islands.