Does my tortoise have shell rot?

tortmcgort1313

Location (City and/or State)
arizona
Hi everyone!

We just rescued a russian tortoise from people who didn't take care of it AT ALL. We're trying to make him happier and healthier. He is very unhappy. He didn't have a proper eclosure, lights, substrate, food, or anything. We have a sulcata, so we know a little about tortoise care. We have been leaving him outside all day during the day in a 50 gallon storage container meant for feeding horses I think and we bring him inside at night with no lights on. My biggest question though is can someone tell me if this is shell rot. Up towards the front his shell sort of caves in and feels gritty. The rest is smooth. Thanks for any help or tips!20180515_201615.jpg

daniellenc

Maryland
Shell rot is usually on the bottom so I doubt it but could it be an old injury? Does it wash off? I don’t know myself but I’m sure someone will be more experienced.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
The spaces between the scutes, where new growth appears, looks all granular and dry, with no new growth at all. Looks like all the new growth has been cooked. ?????

He might benefit from some sort of lubricant, something like cold pressed coconut oil. Dab it on, let it sit a while to absorb, then polish it off with a clean, absorbent cloth. No, it's not shell rot.

Good care, proper husbandry and a good diet and you'll start to notice improvement.

tortmcgort1313

arizona
The spaces between the scutes, where new growth appears, looks all granular and dry, with no new growth at all. Looks like all the new growth has been cooked. ?????

He might benefit from some sort of lubricant, something like cold pressed coconut oil. Dab it on, let it sit a while to absorb, then polish it off with a clean, absorbent cloth. No, it's not shell rot.

Good care, proper husbandry and a good diet and you'll start to notice improvement.

Thank you! He was never given any sort of calcium, supplements, or proper lighting and outdoor time when we got him. We're slowly working on him :)