Does this look right?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Well, I prefer my lights to be separate so I can have a UV light on one end and a night heat on the other. But many people have them set up such as yours.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I think you need a different water bowl.

What is in all those light hoods? The coil type UV bulbs can burn their eyes.

Are you using night heat? What is your overnight low in your house?

I think you need a different water bowl.

What is in all those light hoods? The coil type UV bulbs can burn their eyes.

Are you using night heat? What is your overnight low in your house?
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1447559576.899971.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1447559597.855329.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1447559619.966454.jpg

Overnight heat in my house is usually about 68-71 degrees
Yes I'm using night heat

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Overall, I think you've done a great job there.

I would change:
1. No night heat. You don't need it for a russian at those temps. This means you don't need the CHE or the "MoonLite" bulb.
2. Add a regular basking bulb for heat. I like to use 65 watt flood bulbs from the hardware store and adjust the height of the fixture up or down to get the basking temp correct. Alternatively, you can use a higher wattage bulb and use a rheostat to adjust your heat up or down and get the correct temperature directly under the bulb.
3. Do not use that cfl. They can burn reptile eyes. Even without the potential danger, they are not an effective UV source anyway.
4. The simplest solution here would be to have one lighting hood with a mercury vapor bulb set on a timer and adjust the height of the fixture to get the correct basking temp. This will give you heat, light and UV all in one.

All this and more is explained right here:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/russian-tortoise-care-sheet.80698/
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/

Overall, I think you've done a great job there.

I would change:
1. No night heat. You don't need it for a russian at those temps. This means you don't need the CHE or the "MoonLite" bulb.
2. Add a regular basking bulb for heat. I like to use 65 watt flood bulbs from the hardware store and adjust the height of the fixture up or down to get the basking temp correct. Alternatively, you can use a higher wattage bulb and use a rheostat to adjust your heat up or down and get the correct temperature directly under the bulb.
3. Do not use that cfl. They can burn reptile eyes. Even without the potential danger, they are not an effective UV source anyway.
4. The simplest solution here would be to have one lighting hood with a mercury vapor bulb set on a timer and adjust the height of the fixture to get the correct basking temp. This will give you heat, light and UV all in one.

All this and more is explained right here:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/russian-tortoise-care-sheet.80698/
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/

Thank you

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Thank you

I don't recall where you are. If you are somewhere with a reasonably warm climate like southern CA or AZ, then you can use real sunshine year round in an outdoor enclosure and you really don't need indoor UV. Its okay to skip outdoor sunning time for two or three weeks in a row in winter if we get cold or rainy spells. I skip at least that long every winter here.

I don't recall where you are. If you are somewhere with a reasonably warm climate like southern CA or AZ, then you can use real sunshine year round in an outdoor enclosure and you really don't need indoor UV. Its okay to skip outdoor sunning time for two or three weeks in a row in winter if we get cold or rainy spells. I skip at least that long every winter here.

I live in Minnesota.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Do they sell these at like petsmart or petco
Those stores will probably sell the Powersun MVBs, but not any Arcadia products. It will be easier and much cheaper to order online and have what you need delivered to your door.