tommyxle

Location (City and/or State)
Houston Texas
Hello friends, I am a beginner tortoise owner. I built this enclosure for my new russian tortoise. what do you guys think? Does it look suitable for a russian tortoise?

Attachments

• 5EDA7C69-5F3D-41E9-BEEA-692AF280DC90.jpeg
    5EDA7C69-5F3D-41E9-BEEA-692AF280DC90.jpeg
    3.1 MB · Views: 67
  • CB4124E5-CB7D-485A-A849-10777FA83F09.jpeg
    CB4124E5-CB7D-485A-A849-10777FA83F09.jpeg
    3.4 MB · Views: 65
  • 4C05A516-0B43-454D-85CD-2D124355BE00.jpeg
    4C05A516-0B43-454D-85CD-2D124355BE00.jpeg
    3.2 MB · Views: 65

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Hi and welcome,

How old is your tort?
You've done a lot of work but bear in mind that Russians are expert escape artists and I think there's an area they could easily get over by the burrow - maybe extend the capping near it - or does it have a secure cover to protect from predators?
They are also great diggers too so check there's no where they can dig under. A couple more plants will also give him other places to hide too.
Is this just for some outside time in the day or are you planning on keeping him out full time?

tommyxle

Houston Texas
Hi and welcome,

How old is your tort?
You've done a lot of work but bear in mind that Russians are expert escape artists and I think there's an area they could easily get over by the burrow - maybe extend the capping near it - or does it have a secure cover to protect from predators?
They are also great diggers too so check there's no where they can dig under. A couple more plants will also give him other places to hide too.
Is this just for some outside time in the day or are you planning on keeping him out full time?
Hi, I'm not quite sure how old he is, but he is about 4 inches. A big chunk of the enclosure has concrete underneath, and along the fence, I expend the wood down about 6 inches and put a flat brick. He's outside 24/7. I live in Texas, so it doesn't get too cold. I also don't have any problems with predators. Besides the tortoise, the only animal in my backyard is my dog, but she is too small to jump in, and she's only outside for a small part of the day. Right now, he has about seven hiding spaces, One in each corner, and I dug up some burrow for him. I want to add more plants. What plants do you recommend? Thank you!

tommyxle

Houston Texas
Hello friends, I am a beginner tortoise owner. I built this enclosure for my new russian tortoise. what do you guys think? Does it look suitable for a russian tortoise?
I also need some advice. I got the tortoise two weeks ago, and He is barely eating. I only saw him eat once in those two weeks. I leave out food for him every day, but he doesn't touch it. The first week he was somewhat active. He would walk around the edge of the enclosure, trying to find a way to crawl out; he would do this for about an hour and go back to sleep. Nowadays, since the rain last week, he has slept all day. Is this normal for a new Russian tortoise? Does it just need time to adjust to his new environment? I got him from a relatable breeder and made sure he was a captive-bred. I soaked him yesterday just in case he was dehydrated, and he has all the signs of a healthy tortoise. He was alert, moving around trying to escape the tube I used to soak him, and had no sign of discharge.

gregcalverley0327

10 Year Member!
I also need some advice. I got the tortoise two weeks ago, and He is barely eating. I only saw him eat once in those two weeks. I leave out food for him every day, but he doesn't touch it. The first week he was somewhat active. He would walk around the edge of the enclosure, trying to find a way to crawl out; he would do this for about an hour and go back to sleep. Nowadays, since the rain last week, he has slept all day. Is this normal for a new Russian tortoise? Does it just need time to adjust to his new environment? I got him from a relatable breeder and made sure he was a captive-bred. I soaked him yesterday just in case he was dehydrated, and he has all the signs of a healthy tortoise. He was alert, moving around trying to escape the tube I used to soak him, and had no sign of discharge.
Your gonna want to keep him inside for a bit being that small, have you read the threads on here for his care?

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
I think he's too young to be outside full time yet, and may need his temps and humidity monitored @Tom may be able to help you with that.
But here is the caresheet you need to follow to help your baby thrive.
Predators also include birds that could carry off your little one, plus rats who will attack and chew limbs off and whatever other wildlife you have in your area.
It does take time for them to adjust to change but I think he needs a more secure home.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
He's trying to hibernate. You need a night box with controllable temps and a basking lamp in it. It doesn't work well to just put them outside full time with no way to counter the cruel whims of Mother Nature. Read the care sheet that Lyn linked for more info on this.

Also, no one breeds Russians, raises them for a couple of years or more to get them to 4 inches, and then sells them for a couple hundred bucks. That is not cost effective. Your tortoise is most likely wild caught. Show us pics and we can share our thoughts.

You need to make the walls taller to keep the dog out. Even a little chihuahua can make it into a pen that size, and dogs are motivated to find and chew on tortoises. Your dog is not different than every other dog, and your tortoise is are great risk of harm or death. Don't learn this lesson the hard way.

tommyxle

Houston Texas
I think he's too young to be outside full time yet, and may need his temps and humidity monitored @Tom may be able to help you with that.
But here is the caresheet you need to follow to help your baby thrive.
Predators also include birds that could carry off your little one, plus rats who will attack and chew limbs off and whatever other wildlife you have in your area.
It does take time for them to adjust to change but I think he needs a more secure home.
He's trying to hibernate. You need a night box with controllable temps and a basking lamp in it. It doesn't work well to just put them outside full time with no way to counter the cruel whims of Mother Nature. Read the care sheet that Lyn linked for more info on this.

Also, no one breeds Russians, raises them for a couple of years or more to get them to 4 inches, and then sells them for a couple hundred bucks. That is not cost effective. Your tortoise is most likely wild caught. Show us pics and we can share our thoughts.

You need to make the walls taller to keep the dog out. Even a little chihuahua can make it into a pen that size, and dogs are motivated to find and chew on tortoises. Your dog is not different than every other dog, and your tortoise is are great risk of harm or death. Don't learn this lesson the hard way.
It’s not cold outside tho. It’s about 90 degrees here in texas right now. The walls are tall enough to keep my dog out, she can’t jump over. I’m going to attach some pictures. Can y’all tell me what you think? I just measure him, he is about 5 inches. Thank you

Attachments

• F4BB418B-C537-4906-8F00-22E1BD619E0F.jpeg
    F4BB418B-C537-4906-8F00-22E1BD619E0F.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 35
  • 49C6BE4F-CEB5-4665-8E5E-9BC8D8823E6E.jpeg
    49C6BE4F-CEB5-4665-8E5E-9BC8D8823E6E.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 34
  • 47E5F2B0-4F49-4142-B9F2-A150B925B385.jpeg
    47E5F2B0-4F49-4142-B9F2-A150B925B385.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 36
  • 43C196A6-F799-458B-BEFA-1B742ADCA675.jpeg
    43C196A6-F799-458B-BEFA-1B742ADCA675.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 33
  • F803449E-7749-4AD9-A3BD-DF0059B15583.jpeg
    F803449E-7749-4AD9-A3BD-DF0059B15583.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 35
  • 9D93A08A-C0B8-4217-9083-7EF8F7B1BB43.jpeg
    9D93A08A-C0B8-4217-9083-7EF8F7B1BB43.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 34

Ddflinn

SPRING VALLEY CA
MY RUSSIANS ARE IN A 3X9 HEATED AND LIGHTED BOX FOR NIGHTS OUTSIDE. IT HAS RAINED TWICE THIS WEEK. THEY ARE STAYING IN THE CAVE, THAT IS INSIDE THE BOX AND SLEEPING ALL DAY. I ASSUME THEY FEEL THEY WEATHER CHANGE AND ARE PREPARING TO HIBERNATE , EVEN THOUGH IT'S 79 DEGREES AND LIGHT UP WITH INCANDECENT BULB AND UVB STRIP. I WAS TRYING TO EXTEND THEIR SEASON BUT I DON'T THINK I CAN OUT WIT THEM. I HAVE CAMERAS INSIDE AND CAN TELL WHEN AND FOR HOW LONG THEY'RE UP

tommyxle

Houston Texas
MY RUSSIANS ARE IN A 3X9 HEATED AND LIGHTED BOX FOR NIGHTS OUTSIDE. IT HAS RAINED TWICE THIS WEEK. THEY ARE STAYING IN THE CAVE, THAT IS INSIDE THE BOX AND SLEEPING ALL DAY. I ASSUME THEY FEEL THEY WEATHER CHANGE AND ARE PREPARING TO HIBERNATE , EVEN THOUGH IT'S 79 DEGREES AND LIGHT UP WITH INCANDECENT BULB AND UVB STRIP. I WAS TRYING TO EXTEND THEIR SEASON BUT I DON'T THINK I CAN OUT WIT THEM. I HAVE CAMERAS INSIDE AND CAN TELL WHEN AND FOR HOW LONG THEY'RE UP
cool thanks! I'm going to include a heated box for them. Do you have any recommendations for a lamp and bulb that's weatherproof?

Ddflinn

SPRING VALLEY CA
I have a radiant heat panel mounted to the side and two incandecent light bulb 60 watt hanging over head. also have led strip lighting along the top. the box has a door made of plexiglass to allow natural light in, plus a uvb tube. they're still sleeping and only come out every other day lately. :confused:

Ddflinn

SPRING VALLEY CA

Attachments

• 7F758FC0-F56F-4642-A50A-AC8FC13F4C60.jpeg
    7F758FC0-F56F-4642-A50A-AC8FC13F4C60.jpeg
    686.8 KB · Views: 17

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
cool thanks! I'm going to include a heated box for them. Do you have any recommendations for a lamp and bulb that's weatherproof?
I have a little Russian and the best advice I can give you is don't put anything past them. My older Russian is also 5" and has been since I got him 14 years ago. Take some time to watch him when you can. He'll show you what he's capable of which is just about the same as a monkey. Welcome to the forum.?I didn't answer your question because I don't really use the lamps. I just take mine back and forth every day that he gets to go outside.