Enclosure Questions from a Beginner

Tortle101

I have done plenty of research and I have read the Russian Tortoise care sheets, but I do still have a few more questions. First off I live in Colorado in the mountains, so I'm at a higher altitude where it is very dry and there is little to no humidity. I was wondering whether I should get something like a 40 gallon tank to help keep the moisture in the enclosure or if a open topped enclosure would still work. I was also wondering how I should keep my tortoises enclosure moist. Answers to those questions and any general advice for a beginner is greatly appreciated. Thanks :)

Jodie

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Spokane Valley WA
A tank is not big enough. You can build a table and enclose it. There are a lot of ideas in the enclosure section. This is what I did.
IMG_20150531_184915.jpg
The one on the right is the frame before the plastic is on. Plexiglass is far more attractive. Lol. I dump water, like watering plants into my enclosure. The table has to be sealed. Lining with a shower curtain is popular.

G-stars

5 Year Member
Southern California
How big/old is your tortoise? Adults don't need as much humidity as babies or juveniles. My main concern would be the size of the enclosure. A 40 gallon tank is much too small. Bigger is always better.

lismar79

5 Year Member
Ohio USA
Russians need a lot of room to move about. Ditto about the 40 gallon tank.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Buy or build a closed chamber. Having the enclosure air contained, instead of mixing with the room air, allows the keeper to easily maintain whatever temps and humidity they want, and it uses a fraction of the electricity while maintaining better, more stable temperatures and condition.

Like this:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/closed-chambers.32333/

I agree that a 40 is way too small for anything except a brand new hatchling.

DawnH

5 Year Member
Southeast Texas
I started our hatchling in a 40 gallon tank and LOVED IT. It was free though (I would not pay for one!) and kept temps and humidity perfect for my sulcata. They grow quickly though, so be prepared to work on "Phase 2" as soon as you get him into "Phase 1." (It never ends!) :) If it were me, I would start from scratch and build something suitable (closed top.) I would not spend the money on something small just to spend more money down the road.

Tortle101

Would you suggest something like a shower curtain to cover a wooden frame for the enclosure or should I completely enclose the enclosure with wood. (Excluding one side or the top so I have access to it)