Substrates and Creative enclosures for a Beginner?

Status
Not open for further replies.

anm1221

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Maryland
There are so many ideas and debates on both substrates and enclosures So I figured I would ask some questions!

I Live in maryland so In the hotter months i will be able to let the tort outside but our winters can be brutal so im thinking an inside enclosure will be his home for most of the year. I am currently living with roomates so I do have some room but not the largest amount of room possible which I should have soon when I move. My dad has offered to get me a tortoise for a gift since I just graduated and have wanted one and have talked about saving up and getting one since forever. I have been researching Greek, Hermanns, and Russian torts since they seem to be the smaller breeds. I've heard from many that Russians are bursting with a lot of personality and make great starter pets for a beginner who may not know the ropes as well as some of you veterans. I've also heard that Greeks are very nice too and that they are very beautiful but i haven't heard much about personality or much about Hermann's in General.

There are so many neat and creative ways to make or to buy an enclosure that A girl can get confused and wonder what is best for her tortoise, the same goes for substrate/substrate mixes So i just wanted to get some opinions and some thoughts from everyone. whatever advice you have to offer to a beginner is greatly appreciated!

Status
Not open for further replies.