Does your boxie ever do this?

Status
Not open for further replies.

lisa127

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
NE Ohio
I have a large juvenile box turtle that is 5.25 inches SCL and 405 grams in weight. He is very active with a very good appetite. But he sometimes makes whistling sounds when he breathes. There are no other symptoms of anything else. I have noticed the whistling sound for maybe the past 3 months. Initially I was very concerned and upped the temps a little and gave a little cod live oil for a few weeks. The whistling never really stopped. It does not happen when he is bedded down in his moss with his head poking out. It does not happen when he is basking. It happens when he is out and about, roaming his enclosure maybe looking for food. Or looking up at me begging for food...lol. No other symptoms have ever surfaced. No eye problems, no bubbles at the nose, no loss of appetite....nothing. What do you make of this?

kimber_lee_314

10 Year Member!
So Cal
I have a Florida that sounds "snotty" (congested) all the time. She eats and is active - even laid eggs last night - has no runny nose, clear eyes, gains weight. I initially treated her for a RI but the snotty sounds never went away. I have just left her alone and she seems to be fine. Hope that is helpful. Good luck!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
It might just be that there is a slight obstruction over the nares. Maybe some food or dirt stuck there.

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
That could be Yvonne. I mean, they are buried in dirt all the time.

If gaining weight is a clue, then this is the healthiest turtle ever! This juvenile is turning 2 years old in the next few weeks. And is 405 grams. Keep in mind this is a box turtle. I can't get him to slow down his weight gain/growth. So apparently he can't be really ill........

Status
Not open for further replies.