Hermann tortoise whistling (no URI)

Sydgeo21

Location (City and/or State)
Ohio
My tortoise for the past few weeks has been whistling every couple breaths, doesn’t struggle to breath, no discharge in nose/eyes/mouth, no lethargy, eating always, and poops and urates are perfect. I know he is a messy eater and I give him tortoise pellets mixed in his green once in a while and I’m wondering if some got stuck up his nose. I can’t see anything when I look, but I can’t think of anything else it could be. Heat is great (basking is around 98 and ambient is about 85) I’ve been keeping a ceramic heat emitter on at night to keep it around 80 in case it was a URI but it hasn’t done anything with the whistling. Has anyone else randomly had a tortoise start whistling with no signs of illness?
Also to note: I don’t use super dusty substrate I use reptibark, and keep it damp on the bottom layer so he can dig for his humidity as how he needs.

jsheffield

5 Year Member
Westmoreland, NH
My Redfoot whistles sometimes when she breathes, but has been doing it for years with no signs of distress or sickness.

J

Sydgeo21

Ohio
My Redfoot whistles sometimes when she breathes, but has been doing it for years with no signs of distress or sickness.

J
I’ve had my hermann about a year now and have never heard it until a few weeks ago. And it’s almost all the time except when he sleeps. But no signs of stress that I can tell. If it is food way up in his nose will that hurt him? Or do you think it will eventually come out on its own

jsheffield

5 Year Member
Westmoreland, NH
I think I'd keep the heat and humidity up a bit for a bit and see, as long as activity and appetite are good and no other symptoms show up I wouldn't worry... if things start to change then I'd bring a very into the picture.

I'm not an expert though, so take my advice with a handful of salt....

Jamie