Dog attacked baby sulcata. Help!

Snaz

Location (City and/or State)
Sioux Falls, SD 57103
The vet plans to seal the hole and tort will be on 4 weeks of daily antibiotic injections. More to come as Tilly comes home hopefully later today.

Reactions: Ink

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
This might be a good time to weigh your patient in order to monitor its overall health.

Is your Sully staying at the vet, or home care?

Given the daily shots, don’t expect it to eat much of anything.

Good luck.

MaNaAk

Southend
Update: Exotic vet thinks she has a chance! He said he has seen worse and they have pulled through. She will stay there at least overnight and hopefully home tomorrow.
Brilliant! Please keep posting.

MaNaAk

gibby

Philadelphia
Thank you everyone for your kind responses and advice. I’m headed to show up on the vet’s door step now as I still am unable to reach him by phone. My heart is so very broken. I thought I was taking the right precautions and then you factor kids in to the scenario. Bless their hearts, they are animal lovers too and love to help out. They just don’t always remember the door.💔💔💔
i lost a baby redfoot i have a 3 year old now i feel your pain i hope it works out

herschel

belleville ontario
View attachment 350838
My dog ripped in to my tort enclosure after kids left door open. There is a hole chewed clean through behind her right front leg. Please help! 24 hour vet doesn’t deal with exotics and exotic vet couldn’t be reached. She may be dead before I get home from work. 💔
I know your horror! Our red foot was also attacked by a dog and I was able to grab Herschel just in time - it was a long weekend and had to drive 3 hours the next day to an emergency vet - it took weeks and weeks of care but I am thrilled to say he is here and a true warrior - my hope is that you will also be able to nurse your tortoise back to health - I am so sorry to hear this and I am rooting for you both!

MaNaAk

Southend
I know your horror! Our red foot was also attacked by a dog and I was able to grab Herschel just in time - it was a long weekend and had to drive 3 hours the next day to an emergency vet - it took weeks and weeks of care but I am thrilled to say he is here and a true warrior - my hope is that you will also be able to nurse your tortoise back to health - I am so sorry to hear this and I am rooting for you both!
Jacky and Daisy had lived in the garden for seventy years and then two years ago a fox got into the tortoise house and dragged them out. Daisy ended up at the vets as she had superficial injuries and I was afraid that they could become infected. She was prescribed some cream and did everything she could to stop me putting it on but otherwise she made a full recovery.

MaNaAk

Marmar#1935

Chittenango
I work nights and it happened after I went to work. I had my husband wrap it in press n seal to keep substrate out until I can get home and tend to her. Is she in terrible pain? Do people put torts down for this kind of damage? Heaven knows that is NOT the way I want to go, but the wound looks so awful, I just want what’s best for her.
Looks like it's really bad and she in pain. Her she'll is severed. They're spying is right under their shell so it's hard to guarantee that she'll be ok 😫

Marmar#1935

Chittenango
Nagh…..regardless of what your vet tech said, your tort is much too small & young to properly & reliably sex.
How old do the tortoises have to be before you can tell the sex? I've read that you look for a circular shape in the rear of the shell or a v and it will tell you the sex of the tortoise but I don't find that to be true!! I've tried that and it doesn't seem accurate because none of them have the same shapes near their genitals

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
It's not age it's size. I have a 15 scl tort the best experts here said it was a male...than female... the bigger the tort got, the more HER sex changed..so pay attention, you CANNOT tell the sex of a Sulcata tortoise until he is 14 inches or better...and my 15 inch tort weighs 42 lbs. you will need several years to decide sex...That Vet is not professional, if they seal that hole they will be sealing bacteria inside the wound. This is on our list of veterinarians

Dayton Williams, DVM
All Animal Pet Hospital
2809 S Spring Avenue
Sioux Falls, SD 57105
Tel: (605) 339-9261
Tel: (888) 339-9261

Rynan

Southern California
I am a nurse and a diabetic so I have given many, many shots in my life. I never dreamt I would be giving my tiny tortoise shots one day. I just pray it all works out. We are one week in and she is going strong. I pray it keeps up!
Nice. Idk why but the injury seemed serious but didn't seem deadly to me.

MaNaAk

Southend
I am a nurse and a diabetic so I have given many, many shots in my life. I never dreamt I would be giving my tiny tortoise shots one day. I just pray it all works out. We are one week in and she is going strong. I pray it keeps up!
I am so pleased for you and hope you keeps getting better. Daisy had antibiotics for a month and she is okay. I'm finishing an enclosure for her.

MaNaAk

herschel

belleville ontario
I took her to Dayton Williams and he did indeed seal her up. She came home today and went HAM on her grass and dandelion greens after a good soak. She will receive antibiotic injections daily for a total of 4 weeks. She’s moving and acting her normal self. I hope all remains well with her.
I am so happy to hear this news!!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Wow, sounds like she will do great.
Can you post pic of her and what did they use to close it?
What did they say as far as her growing and the way they closed it. Will it have to keep being replaced as she grows?

MaNaAk

Southend
Wow, sounds like she will do great.
Can you post pic of her and what did they use to close it?
What did they say as far as her growing and the way they closed it. Will it have to keep being replaced as she grows?
Please keep us updated @Snaz.

Thankyou very much

MaNaAk