Donald's Thread

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
They thought they were doing everything I told them to do, BUT as you can see they weren't. I still have it here and it is doing fine and is also a good eater. One of the main things was he wasn't soaking because it was setting in it's water bowl a lot and also the uv tube was above a screen or glass top I can't remember which one. He even saw the setup here. I have 2 uv lights that I alternate on and off and 2 che's controlled with separate lamp dimmers, one on each end. One has a wood barrier below it so it doesn't get as hot on that end at ground level. That's the end he sleeps in. The lights and che's are all inside the enclosed area. Yes I feed Mazuri along with a large selection of weeds and leaves when available. With the mild winter we had some weeds available all winter and the leaves are back now. I feed them several times a day, sometimes 4 times a day. They like fresh greens and will consume more than if I put a bunch in for the day in the morning. I either cut or just rip the long leafy greens into smaller pieces and it seems I get less waste by doing that. I keep the temps a little higher than what most people do and it seems to work for them when young.
Another person absolutely destroying the old myth that "slow growth is better".

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest

Len B

10 Year Member!
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
Turtulas-Len...please tell me how you describe the photo...then have the photo...next photo description then the photo....I've been trying to do that with my threads....thanks
I type in the description of the first pic then attach that pic and then type the description of the next pic before attaching it. The text starts at the botton right of the previous picture.

Len B

10 Year Member!
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
A few days ago Donald decided to start sleeping at the other end of his enclosure under a CHE. I would move him back to his box where he would remain all night. But the next night he would go back under the CHE. It's 17 inches above the substrate in a closed chamber type enclosure but can still dry things out over time. So to keep him happy and let him sleep where he wants this is what I doing to keep his shell moist.Picture 002.jpgAfter he settles in for the night I wet a wash cloth in hot water and lay it on top of him. This usually happens before 7pm and before I go to bed between 11:30 and midnight I wet another one and lay it on top of the first one.Picture 005.jpgWhen I get up in the morning they are still moist, and I don't remove them until he decides to wakes up. Once he snuggles into the corner I know he's out for the night. Here he is today getting some sun and exercise.Picture 007.jpg

Chubbs the tegu

Ma
No snow here, but with the high winds coming across the cold water of the Potomac River at 40 degrees this morning and only to mid 50s for a high today made for a very cold day. Supposed to reach 65 tomorrow.
Yeah.. suppose to get some 70’s here next week. Very welcomed. Its been a cold spring so far here.

EllieMay

5 Year Member
East Texas
Beautiful... I sure did want to see squiggly grow too though;-)

EllieMay

5 Year Member
East Texas
It took some time to get used to Squiggy not being here.
I bet!!! I totally understand though.. ones a lot,,, two’s a lot more....etc. Squiggy was just special
Any chance the new owner will share his story here??

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
That's huge for his age. Wow.

The wash cloth thing is genius. I wish I'd thought of that! I want to try it out now.