Don't even know what to title...never seen or heard of this...(pic graphic)stuned

sibi

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Florida, USA
There's got to be a trail. Is there any blood anywhere? Can you post a pic of the enclosure or where you found him? Was be roaming the house, or was he locked up in his enclosure? Is the enclosure inside or outside the house?

You see, if you WA t thoughts or ideas, you'll need to fill in some of the gaps.

sissyofone

10 Year Member!
San Antonio, Texas
This is unbelievable. :( Was the head found? I would put a trap in there and bait it with something like chicken . Im mean seriously rats and other predators are crafty and sneaky little creatures. I just dont understand why theres no gnaw marks are anything. I certainly would not use the enclosure again untill this mystery is solved. Poor Little Tort. :(

AmRoKo

5 Year Member
Florida
Wow, I am so sorry for your loss if I came home to that I would be just devastated. I really hope it wasn't a person who did that, I would be so unimaginably angry if anyone ever hurt any of my animals. :(

lkwagner

5 Year Member
Don't even know what to title...never seen or heard of this...(pic graphic)stun

Zeus?? There was another tort in with him? Wonder if that tort bit his head off.

mtdavis254817

10 Year Member!
No.. Zues and tucco are older males that got in a fight back in August. Tuccos neck got cut pretty bad... Its in his old post. I was looking at his old post and saw tuccos neck wound. I asked if he saw it happen because it was a bad cut and haven't ever seen anything like that before

It has to be something. This is not JFK.. I have found shells bye ponds that are in perfect condition but coons scooped out the meat..... I had a cat that ate just the heads of my baby redear sliders when I was a kid... This couldn't have been a spontaneous be heading.. I hope the other torts are safe

kanalomele

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
East Bay area
Oh my goodness! Thats awful! Im so sorry you had this happen to your tort. I cannot even speculate what may have caused this. I have seen pictures of torts who had their yeads caught in things. Not in one of those cases did the tort decapitate itself. Something or someone did this. Im so very sorry.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
The neighbor across the street had a bunny or two show up without their head every so often. Occasionally I found headless bunny bodies in my tortoise yards. This led me to believe that a bird had done it. After some research, I found that some skunks and some hawks will eat the heads off of bodies.

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
I would go over that enclosure with a fine toothed comb.... housed alone or with others? Blood?
Set a rat trap just to be sure....

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
If he was housed with others, then I would believe an accidental bite from another tort. Thinking maybe food and just didn't let go. If he was housed alone, well then there is something loose in your house.

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
I'm sorry for your loss, really I am, but don't you want to know what happened? Don't know why you can't answer some of the many questions members are asking you. From the little you've revealed to us, your tort was alone in his enclosure, which is in your house locked up. No other living animals are there. No dog, no cat, no bird, no snake, no other tort(s). Am I right so far? You still have not answered if you found a blood trail, or the poor torts head, or any opening in his enclosure. Did you inspect his enclosure? Have you taken all the substrate out? Is there any hole anywhere that an animal could have squeezed in? If this happened to me, I would have turned the house upside down to find out what happened. I would set traps, and use meat to draw out the culprit. But then, you're not me.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
So sorry for your loss of the little one. Have you figured out what the cause was? Did this happen in your new Turtle House from this thread? http://www.tortoiseforum.org/post-763451.html#pid763451 Just so horrifying, I really am sick over this, can't even imagine how you're doing. Hope you're holding strong.

I looked at your pics of the above referenced thread....I am wondering if you have gone all through each vent that leads from outside to the inside? Were all windows securely closed? I feel really weird asking you these questions (because this has to weigh heavy on your heart) but I am hoping what ever occurred will not replay due to a breach in the new structure...you know what I mean?

BeeBee*BeeLeaves

5 Year Member
Orange County, So Cal
I still think a critter got in some how, like a possum or raccoon. I am so sorry this happened. I hope it does not happen again. Horrible surprise. Angela is right, above, I agree. Had to be. What else?

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
After looking at the structure you had for the redfoot, I can tell you that this isn't entirely a mystery. You'll need to examine each hole in the structure. Then, dig around each pen to see if a critter gnawed its way through the floor and through the soil to get at the tort. I know this came as a surprise to you, but, if you don't want a repeat of what happened, get a few friends, and check every pen, every inch lf space until you find a whole or opening that the culprit crawled in and figure a way to prevent more harm to your torts.

mtdavis254817

10 Year Member!
A rat can fit in any hole they can get their head threw. That's about the size of a quarter..

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
Amen! And, I can bet money that there's at least one quarter size hole in that structure!
mtdavis254817 said:
A rat can fit in any hole they can get their head threw. That's about the size of a quarter..

lvstorts

10 Year Member!
I want to thank the constructive posters for their comments and support. However, there is one that is causing me to make this my last post on the subject. Everyone, please remember unless you've met the poster in person, you have no idea who they are or what they know. Telling them 'you have to' and 'you should' and 'if you want to know' and inferring they should not own reptiles is rude and very passive aggressive, especially when what they are reaming you about is stated in the post. I've had stabbing comments from this poster before and it makes me not want to post anything for fear of his/her teeth coming out to bite me in the rear-end.

To answer some outstanding questions: no pool of blood, no head found.I have no rats in my area, raccoons or possums in my area (lived here for 25 years, raccoons are near the river (I am not) never seen a possum nor rat). Have seen mice. Of course I am investigating every nook and cranny in my structure. Of course I'm worried for my other torts. Hence the reason I'm not constantly posting replies to people asking the same info in the original post - I'm out taking care of my other torts.

If and when I find the cause I'll post.

Again - to the constructive posters, thank you, I really appreciate the support.