Double Door Night Box

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
How do you attach the corrugated roof panels?
I use one inch roofing screws. They have a hex head and come with a little rubber washer already on them. I tighten them down so there is light tension, but not so tight that they break the corrugated plastic.

seanbaker1

Tortoise Club
Chino, California
I put the weather stripping in place and then carefully set the lid in the correct position on top. This leave a small gap and lets the lid sit perfectly level and flush with the weather stripping "absorbing" any abnormalities.

The cord runs through a cut out under the weather stripping.

I don't paint the interiors for four reasons:
1. I HATE painting.
2. Its not needed and does nothing.
3. It rubs off on the tortoises and discolors their shells.
4. I worry about the fumes. And also, I hate painting...

For the flaps, I cut a 2x4 a little longer than the doorway is wide. I cut my flaps, over lap them about an inch, and staple them to the 2x4. Then I screw the 2x4 with flaps over the door, carefully setting the height just right, and sandwiching the flaps between the wall and the 2x4.
Do you paint the bottom? Seems like the bottom should be painted. I guess set the box on its side? Boy that'll be a pain!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Do you paint the bottom? Seems like the bottom should be painted. I guess set the box on its side? Boy that'll be a pain!
Yes. I hit the bottoms extra heavy since that what will be exposed to the most moisture in our rainy season here. I set the boxes on saw horses when I am building its really easy to tip the box up onto its back wall to paint the bottom.

To be clear, I'm talking about the outside bottom of the box. I don't paint the inside where the tortoise will be. They would just rub the paint away in short order.