Not open for further replies.

ra94131

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Colorado
See the below threads for info on Rasputin and his outdoor garden:
Rasputin, the Sulcata Tortoise
Outdoor Enclosure for Rasputin, the Sulcata Tortoise

This weekend I began construction on what will hopefully be a very long-term insulated home for Rasputin. The exterior dimensions will be 4'x4'x2.5' built with a plywood, 2"x4"s, and 0.75" thick insulation (sandwiched to 1.5"). It probably won't be complete for a couple more weeks at least, but I'll be sure to provide updates here.

There is still plywood to be attached, a doorway to be cut, a door to be built, and various other items. I am going to hold off on painting/sealing until the end (except for areas that will be unreachable or difficult to reach once assembled).

Just prior to the first cut.
IMG_2050_zpsb00a9701.jpg

Putting the insulation into the lid. The 2"x4" cutouts are to ensure a very solid connection.
IMG_2051_zps5737b2fb.jpg

The top of the nearly completed lid.
IMG_2056_zps905412f2.jpg

Just a stack of supplies waiting to be used and in the background the completed lid sitting just outside of the garage.
IMG_2057_zpsed424559.jpg

The completed lid. (Except paint/seal, but as mentioned above I will not be painting/sealing until the end of the project.)
IMG_2058_zps97d31651.jpg

IMG_2060_zpsb79707b1.jpg

The framing nearing completion.
IMG_2059_zps599188cc.jpg

The frame with the exterior plywood sides attached. (Yes, it is upside down.) You can see the 4"x4" "skids" clearly.
IMG_2061_zps88517e65.jpg

Inside the upside down frame showing where the door will be cut. (This is where we stopped for the day.)
IMG_2062_zps527d5623.jpg

It might be a week from now before additional work is completed, but I'll continue to provide updates.

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
Nice job. It should be good for a year or two. Your sully will grow so fast that by the time you enjoy his enclosure, it will be time to plan for an even larger one. Sulcatas need a large enclosure; much larger than you're building in order for it to be something be can live in for a long time. if you can add to it down the line, and expand it as needed, than you'll be fine and your tort will have years of enjoyment.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Well you could probably guess that I was gonna like it. :) Looks great. Can't wait to see the finished product.

Sylvia, I'm pretty sure this is just a night box to be put in a large outdoor enclosure for sleeping at night and cold days. I don't think the tortoise will "live" in it.

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
Yes this is a heated night box only. I've seen pictures of his pen. Very pretty and has a big yard waiting for him to grow into ;)

Heather
Sent from my Android TFO app

ra94131

5 Year Member
Colorado
sibi said:
Nice job. It should be good for a year or two. Your sully will grow so fast that by the time you enjoy his enclosure, it will be time to plan for an even larger one. Sulcatas need a large enclosure; much larger than you're building in order for it to be something be can live in for a long time. if you can add to it down the line, and expand it as needed, than you'll be fine and your tort will have years of enjoyment.

This'll just be a nighttime box for Rasputin. You can check out his "garden" in my links at the beginning of the post. Once he outgrows that he'll have free reign of the entire yard. ("Tortoise-proofing" the entire fence line will be a whole other project...)

Tom said:
Well you could probably guess that I was gonna like it. :) Looks great. Can't wait to see the finished product.

Saying your design "inspired" me would be seriously understating it.

I'm going to try to post updates, but the next couple weeks will not leave a lot of extra time for the project. I'll definitely be grabbing a few minutes whenever I get a chance though. I'm hoping to have it substantially completed by early August.

ra94131

5 Year Member
Colorado
I thought I'd post a few more "in progress" updates.

Exterior plywood attached. Interior ready for insulation.
IMG_2065_zps2bb0f1ea.jpg

IMG_2066_zps4f3fbb83.jpg

The first insulated interior wall goes in.
IMG_2068_zpsca427c84.jpg

"Completed". Still needs to be primed/painted and then the hinges will be attached. The protected electrical cord is there, but I'll wait to add the remaining electrical (RHP and Herpstat) once it is in place. (Heat won't be needed for another couple of months anyway.)
IMG_2069_zps762c7052.jpg

IMG_2070_zps8593fb65.jpg

IMG_2071_zps8ef81991.jpg

IMG_2073_zps91a94888.jpg

The "completed" lid and door. These will be attached once everything has been painted.
IMG_2075_zps5d899558.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.