Dried weeds

laurenh

5 Year Member
Im in the UK and im worried ill find it hard to find weeds in the winter! I am growing some from seeds but realise these wont last long!!!
Im in the process of drying out some picked weeds. How does everyone store them and how do they feed them?

gtc

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Norway
laurenh said:
Im in the UK and im worried ill find it hard to find weeds in the winter! I am growing some from seeds but realise these wont last long!!!
Im in the process of drying out some picked weeds. How does everyone store them and how do they feed them?

I buy dried plantain and dried dandelions from my pet shop, at the rabitt food section :)

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
South of Southern California, but not Mexico
I dry mulberry leaves over the summer, so I can use them while the tree is dormant. Not "weeds" exactly, but this somewhat fits your question.

When I harvest them for actual feeding, as many as 20 to 30 leaves, I rinse them off, they can be dusty, then mix most in with the actual salad, but put a few in a box lid. When they dry, I collect them into paper grocery bags for later use.

I periodically use the dry leaves even when the fresh are available to keep the tortoises "in practice" for that flavor.

Will

AnnV

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
SWFL
Re: RE: Dried weeds

gtc said:
laurenh said:

I buy dried plantain and dried dandelions from my pet shop, at the rabitt food section :)

I have never seen that here in USA. I wonder if we can order online. That would be great.

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
South of Southern California, but not Mexico
AnnV said:
gtc said:
laurenh said:

I have never seen that here in USA. I wonder if we can order online. That would be great.

You might want to look at what's available:
http://www.atlanticspice.com/store/herbs-and-spices-botanicals,category.asp
http://www.sunorganicfarm.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Category_Code=VEG

In the late 90's a series of diets called "Quantum" combined many natural organic sources of nutrients from vendors like this and sold them for zoo and private use. Dried plant parts, mixed in with live greens is a great way to 'vitalize' the greens from grocery stores. Especially good when your grocery store has a very limited range.

Physillium is plantain.

Will

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I do what Will does. I just pick my rose of Sharon leaves, lay out to dry and bag in zip lock until winter. These leaves stay green. As for weeds, I would do it the same way as flowers. Hang upside down to dry. Then bag them up in zip locks, get as much air out as possible and store in a dry place, not frig.

Oh, tortoisesupply.com has dried dandelion leaf. They also have a Herbal Tortoise Hay that is really good. I think it consist of dry weeds and flowers. Smells great too. If your torts don't like it, would be a great potpourri :D

laurenh

5 Year Member
Mine love the dried stuff! Been giving it so they get used to it. I didnt know how to feed it to them but found they are happy with it dry or in with pellets