Drinking

Status
Not open for further replies.

karleyreed

5 Year Member
How do you know when your tort is havin a drink? When I soak mine he doesn't seem to do it, nor does he ever go over to his dish himself for a drink.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Many of them don't seem to do it often. However, who has time ti sit and stare into their tortoise enclosure for 24 hours straight? My test is always to see if any substrate has been tracked into the water dish. When I refill it, I leave it clean and pristine. I find it dirty everyday, so I know they are using it. I tell people with a single tortoise that if your water bowl stays clean and untouched for a day or two, your tortoise might not be comfortable with it and I suggest a chance. Also, there is evidence to suggest that during the course of a soak they can absorb water through their cloaca.

Yes. Thats right. Your tortoise is drinking though his butt hole. :)

karleyreed

5 Year Member
Tom said:
Many of them don't seem to do it often. However, who has time ti sit and stare into their tortoise enclosure for 24 hours straight? My test is always to see if any substrate has been tracked into the water dish. When I refill it, I leave it clean and pristine. I find it dirty everyday, so I know they are using it. I tell people with a single tortoise that if your water bowl stays clean and untouched for a day or two, your tortoise might not be comfortable with it and I suggest a chance. Also, there is evidence to suggest that during the course of a soak they can absorb water through their cloaca.

Ohhh I see. I've had him just over 1 month now, maybe he is still getting used to his environment?? He Is only 1 year old also. Another thing, most people say their torts are really quite active, well, mine isn't. I mean, I do work full time, 40 hours + a week and usually it's 14 hour shifts, but he just doesn't seem as active as he should. And also, that is Mingin! Lol. Sucking it up through his little bum hole haha.

Tortus

5 Year Member
Maryland
Tom said:

That reminds me of an episode of "1000 Ways to Die". It involved a funnel and a bottle of vodka.

Never soak your tortoise in alcohol!

Creedence

5 Year Member
Sacramento, CA
Tortus said:
Tom said:

That reminds me of an episode of "1000 Ways to Die". It involved a funnel and a bottle of vodka.

Never soak your tortoise in alcohol!

Hahaha, I totally saw that!

Status
Not open for further replies.