Dry and cracking shell

Claremonty

Location (City and/or State)
Belfast
Hi,
I recently got a horsfield tortoise he took a couple weeks to settle in but has been doing really well since. I have noticed however his shell seems abit dry and looks like it might be cracking. I'm new to this and don't know if I'm just being paranoid, but if it is how can I help him?
Thank youIMG_20201229_150133.jpgIMG_20201230_140209.jpgIMG_20210105_122609_493.jpgIMG_20201130_133543.jpg

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
It doesn’t look too bad for a Russian. They don’t grow perfectly smooth.

However, your photo suggests you have been given outdated advice concerning his care. That substrate is not suitable.

Please read this thread and compare it with your setup. You have changes to make

Claremonty

Belfast
It doesn’t look too bad for a Russian. They don’t grow perfectly smooth.

However, your photo suggests you have been given outdated advice concerning his care. That substrate is not suitable.

Please read this thread and compare it with your setup. You have changes to make

That was just just bedding for a couple days when we got him. He has proper topsoil now. Thanks for the response

Herman_WA

Washington
I didn't see any cracking, but to solve the dryness I usually spread a very small amount of coconut oil on his shell.
It stops the dryness for about a month, then just put a bit back on!
(Remember, a little goes a long way!)

crimson_lotus

10 Year Member!
Massachusetts
I am wondering if perhaps his previous enclosure heat lamp may have been too close to the top of his shell. I did not see anything too worrying in the first two pictures but in the 3rd pic it looks like the scutes are a little raised.

Just make sure that his current light setup is adequate to avoid any more damage.