Dry patches on 5 month sulcata

cesst

Location (City and/or State)
Manila
Hello, everyone. First time posting here. Please, help. Are these dry white patches on my 5 month sulcata normal? I thought it was from him flipping over on his slate rock. But it spread out. What could be the cause of this? And how can I help him? First time sulcata parent here. I would really appreciate your help. I feel bad for him, although he's doing everything normal and it doesn't seem to bother him. I just want to make sure it's not fungal infection or rot 😔

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230929_140815_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20230929_140815_Gallery.jpg
    156.1 KB · Views: 3

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello, everyone. First time posting here. Please, help. Are these dry white patches on my 5 month sulcata normal? I thought it was from him flipping over on his slate rock. But it spread out. What could be the cause of this? And how can I help him? First time sulcata parent here. I would really appreciate your help. I feel bad for him, although he's doing everything normal and it doesn't seem to bother him. I just want to make sure it's not fungal infection or rot 😔
Hello and welcome.

Those look like hard water stains. Do you rinse after soaking with demineralized water? Do you spray the tortoise frequently?

Your tortoise is pyramiding. You need to change the way it is being housed ASAP to keep it from getting worse. Start here and look for the sulcata care sheet near the bottom:

cesst

Manila
Hello and welcome.

Those look like hard water stains. Do you rinse after soaking with demineralized water? Do you spray the tortoise frequently?

Your tortoise is pyramiding. You need to change the way it is being housed ASAP to keep it from getting worse. Start here and look for the sulcata care sheet near the bottom:
Thank you so much! That didn't even cross my mind. I live in the Philippines and I just use tap water for his soak and drinking water in his enclosure. I spray him with tap water a few times a day. Should I switch to distilled water for his soak and drinking water? Thanks for the link. I will read it now.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Should I switch to distilled water for his soak and drinking water? Thanks for the link. I will read it now.
No. Definitely not. They need regular mineralized water for drinking and soaking. Just use distilled, or collected rainwater, or RO water for the spraying and rinsing. I am on well water with high mineral content. After a soak, I simply rinse my tortoises with a sprayer filled with rainwater that I collect.