Dry Sulcata to humid Leopard Update

Sh3wulf

5 Year Member
In February when we adopted Benny as a dry raised African Sulcata he weighed 62g and was little more than a couple inches in length.
A few weeks after getting him while doing some online research, I was lucky enough to find TFO and the wonderful forum members that make up this caring group.
Benny, now properly "specieized" is a healthy-humid-grown-thriving leopard tortoise.
As of yesterday he was 396g and is now 6.25" back to font and 12.2" around the middle and over his carapace. Most of the damage of his first few dry months is very minimal as all his new growth comes in very smooth.
ImageUploadedByTortForum1386512374.313745.jpgImageUploadedByTortForum1386512381.532650.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
DITTO, beautiful leopard. Looks great. I can't believe someone thought it was a sully:(. But then, I have seen CL ads for a Russian and it was really a Sulcata:(

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Wow. What a tremendous success story! Thank you for posting this.

Your "sulcata" has turned out looking great! :p

kjr153

5 Year Member
That is so funny! When I was looking around the pet store I asked if they had a Sulcata. He said no the only tortoises we have is a Russian and an African Spur Thigh. I just kinda chuckled.

Sh3wulf

5 Year Member
Thanks all. We really love Benny,sometimes Benita when I start to freak out a little about flashing lol
I'm so glad I found TFO. Benny probably would have died a slow and agonizing dry death otherwise. I was given such horrendous information regarding husbandry of this little guy.

Sh3wulf

5 Year Member
Just a few more I snapped before a soak this morning.
ImageUploadedByTortForum1386851075.795784.jpg
ImageUploadedByTortForum1386851094.992543.jpgImageUploadedByTortForum1386851106.359689.jpgImageUploadedByTortForum1386851116.826371.jpgImageUploadedByTortForum1386851128.946235.jpgImageUploadedByTortForum1386851141.943925.jpg I love this one. I totally here a Stuwie voice in my head saying "are you quite finished wretched woman?" Lol

DevilsLettuce

5 Year Member
Gorgeous sulcata ;), he's lucky that you ended taking him home and providing all the proper care for him.

I like your nail polish too

Saleama

5 Year Member
Irving Texas
He sure looks good for having been raised dry. Looks like you got to him in time. I hope my guys turn out that pretty!

Sh3wulf

5 Year Member
DevilsLettuce said:
Gorgeous sulcata ;), he's lucky that you ended taking him home and providing all the proper care for him.

I like your nail polish too

Thanks. He's most lucky I found this forum. And thanks. I like to have fun with my polishes. Freaks out the boss. Lol

Saleama said:
He sure looks good for having been raised dry. Looks like you got to him in time. I hope my guys turn out that pretty!

Yeah. He's got some prominent bumps but as his new growth is smooth and now larger in diameter, he's looking good. He is a bit bigger than a softball and about the same shape. I have just followed Toms recommends and it seems to be working fabulously.

diamondbp

10 Year Member!
truly beautiful. That's one colorful sulcata you have there ;)

ulkal

5 Year Member
AW: Dry Sulcata to humid Leopard Update

Great job! what a beautiful leo!

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
Sh3wulf said:
Just a few more I snapped before a soak this morning.

I love this one. I totally here a Stuwie voice in my head saying "are you quite finished wretched woman?" Lol

WOW!!!! What a beauty. You are so lucky to have her.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Boy, that seller really missed the boat. What a beauty Benito turned out to be. Yup, I'm pretty sure...Benito.

Sh3wulf

5 Year Member
Yvonne G said:
Boy, that seller really missed the boat. What a beauty Benito turned out to be. Yup, I'm pretty sure...Benito.

You said Benito, but did you mean Benita? As in you think he is a she?

BeeBee*BeeLeaves

5 Year Member
Orange County, So Cal
Your little leopard looks outstanding, what a great, and funny story. This little sully is not like the others, LOL.
You have done good and I wholeheartedly agree, that this forum is the best ever for tortoise keepers and tortoise wanna be keepers and all tortoises in someone's care. Oh, and little turtles, too! Woo hoo! : )

Sh3wulf

5 Year Member
ImageUploadedByTortForum1388930750.195315.jpg I was letting Benny have some out of cage time today and noticed how large he has gotten, and I love the clash of his shell and my "wicked witch" socks.