Benny - our baby Sulcata

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sh3wulf

5 Year Member
Hello all,

Our family is ruled by Benny, our baby Sulcata. We adopted Benny in January and he turned one on February 14.

Looking to learn as much as possible from lessons learned by other Sulcata friends and families.

We are lucky to have an excellent vet who actually owns a zoo and cares for four full grown successfully breeding pairs of Sulcatas, so Benny is well monitored.

Still there is always stuff to be learned from others experiences, and just like children we strongly believe that these creatures have unique personalities.

Looking forward to interacting with you all and learning about other species as well. ImageUploadedByTortoiseForum1364740817.502231.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

AZtortMom

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Sunny AZ
Hi and welcome :) very cute baby ;)

Life is good

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Welcome to the Forum, Sh3wulf!

mctlong

5 Year Member
SF Valley, SoCal
Is Benny that adorable tortoise in the pic? If so, he's a leopard tortoise, not a sulcata. :)

Happy Easter and welcome to the forum!

Sh3wulf

5 Year Member
mctlong said:
Is Benny that adorable tortoise in the pic? If so, he's a leopard tortoise, not a sulcata. :)

Happy Easter and welcome to the forum!

Hi mctlong

That's what we thought to cause of his markings and shape at first, but our vet assures us he is actually a Sulcata, just a very pretty one (but I'm not biased)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
It might be time to look for a different vet. The tortoise in the picture is definitely a baby leopard tortoise.

Blakem

10 Year Member!
California
That's great you have a reliable vet. That definitely is a leopard tortoise. Thanks for sharing.

Sent from my iPhone using TortoiseForum mobile app

mainey34

5 Year Member
Peoria, Arizona
Hello and welcome...although leopards are somewhat similar to sulcatas. The circles in the Middlesex of the secutes give it away. My profile pic shows a sulcata. You have a leopard...

CtTortoiseMom

5 Year Member
CT
Benny is an adorable Leopard tortoise. Don't worry you raise them the very same way, you would raise a sulcata. Your vet is very wrong and should definitely know the difference between a Leopard and a sulcata. Browse TFO for sulcata hatchlings and you will see the obvious difference. Anyway, I love leopards and look forward to more pics of your beautiful baby!

kjr153

5 Year Member
I am sure no expert but I was thinking that was a shell color and pattern that I had never seen on a Sulcata.

Sh3wulf

5 Year Member
Ah. You guys have now totally freaked me out! I need to go back to re educating myself on Leopards
Hope we haven't done anything damaging in the last few months.

CtTortoiseMom

5 Year Member
CT
Sh3wulf said:
Ah. You guys have now totally freaked me out! I need to go back to re educating myself on Leopards
Hope we haven't done anything damaging in the last few months.
I am sure you haven't, Sulcata's and Leopards have the same needs. You will just need to buy less food in the future:). Heat, Humidity,Hydration and a varied diet is all you need:). Best of luck and we are here for you!

pugsandkids

10 Year Member!
Benny is adorable, don't freak, you've obviously been taking great care of him!

chase thorn

10 Year Member!
Colorado Springs, CO
No worries! (Just find a different vet...) I would care for a sully the same way as a leopard. You lucked out.. I go through a garbage bag of food a week with my two!

Shannon and Jason

5 Year Member
South Arkansas
You have a great looking leopard tort and like everyone else has said the care is the same so you have been doing right by your little one.

Status
Not open for further replies.