Dubia Roaches For Food?

Status
Not open for further replies.

EarthUponWater

5 Year Member
I picked up some roaches today to try out on my spiders, geckos, dragons, fish, and turtle. Assuming they are fed well like all the other insects, would the be okay to try out on hingebacks? If so, what size? I have several life stages at the moment, so I should be able to find the right size. I assume I'll have to find one that is no wider than the spacing between my tort's eyes (just like I would for geckos?).

chadk

10 Year Member!
Do hingebacks eat insects? If so, dubias are one of the best feeders out there.

My monitor eats the adults and my geckos eat the med nymphs. Way better than crickts and mealworms...

EarthUponWater

5 Year Member
I believe hingebacks in general eat insects. I just haven't gotten mine to yet. Those who own eating ones, do you feed them roaches?

tortoises101

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Ontario, Canada
Cockroaches are ESPECIALLY good for hingebacks, due to the high level of nutrtion. The exoskeleton also helps to wear their beaks down, another plus for feeding roaches.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Hingebacks love bugs, but most are not into being active hunters. So things like crickets which are quick movers aren't well received by them, but ones like butterworms which mainly just wiggle are loved.

melas

5 Year Member
Pennsylvania
Just crush the head of the roach and place it in front of them. They'll still wiggle around but will be unable to flee. My redfoots LOVE them. I have one that will actually lift itself up and drop its shell onto the roaches to "kill" them first . . . hilarious! Dubia are great feeders all around!

My box turtles love them as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.