Ear Abscesses

a5fung

5 Year Member
Bumping up and old thread hoping you guys can help me out.

My 1 1/2 year old cherryhead has an ear abscesses on his left side, it looks just like in the pic of the first post on this thread. I'm evaluating the options, but sounds like lancing it is the best option.

@Yvonne G , how do you tell if it is ripe, does it harden when you touch it or change color? Also, can you share a bit more your procedure? Do you just cut a small 'x' and scrape out the stuff inside until its gone? Also, how do you treat it after, do you apply anything?

@Mantissa3 , did you ever end up trying the oil and did it work?

Thanks!

Mantissa3

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
San Francisco Bay Area
Bumping up and old thread hoping you guys can help me out.

My 1 1/2 year old cherryhead has an ear abscesses on his left side, it looks just like in the pic of the first post on this thread. I'm evaluating the options, but sounds like lancing it is the best option.

@Yvonne G , how do you tell if it is ripe, does it harden when you touch it or change color? Also, can you share a bit more your procedure? Do you just cut a small 'x' and scrape out the stuff inside until its gone? Also, how do you treat it after, do you apply anything?

@Mantissa3 , did you ever end up trying the oil and did it work?

Thanks!

Yes! one drop per day of copaiba oil (pure essential oil) diluted with a couple of drops of pure mineral oil, or liquid organic coconut oil- which is my preference over mineral oil due to the antibiotic/antifungal properties of coconut oil, will heal the abcess without lancing it. Also- the reason they get these abcesses is due to lack of Vitamin A - lots of leafy greens, cut down on sugared fruit.

If you just leave it alone and give lots of high vitamin A foods- also chopped white mushrooms, and a few mazuri pellets with the romain lettuce and white mushroom, they will heal on their own. I wouldn't cut the ear open to lance it. You can permanently damage the tympanic membrane...

The copaiba oil is something they can get in the South American regions by biting and rubbing against the bark and roots- which may be why we don't see these ear abcesses in wild populations, that I've ever read about.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MRHAIEQ/?tag=exoticpetnetw-20

a5fung

5 Year Member
Yes! one drop per day of copaiba oil (pure essential oil) diluted with a couple of drops of pure mineral oil, or liquid organic coconut oil- which is my preference over mineral oil due to the antibiotic/antifungal properties of coconut oil, will heal the abcess without lancing it. Also- the reason they get these abcesses is due to lack of Vitamin A - lots of leafy greens, cut down on sugared fruit.

If you just leave it alone and give lots of high vitamin A foods- also chopped white mushrooms, and a few mazuri pellets with the romain lettuce and white mushroom, they will heal on their own. I wouldn't cut the ear open to lance it. You can permanently damage the tympanic membrane...

The copaiba oil is something they can get in the South American regions by biting and rubbing against the bark and roots- which may be why we don't see these ear abcesses in wild populations, that I've ever read about.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MRHAIEQ/?tag=exoticpetnetw-20

Thanks! I bought some and will try it out. Hopefully he'll heal soon!

I give him a variety of greens/weeds but he's a picky eater, sometimes he'll skip a meal and chow down the next day when I give him fruit or mazuri. I'm giving more fruit recently since it's summer and lots of good fruits are in season, but I'll cut it down for now until he heals. Thanks!