East Hermann's Humidity Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

irishshake

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Calgary, Alberta
So I bought a analog hygrometer . It had said my humidity was 50-60% humidity . 80% after extensive misting.

Then I learned they are garbage.

So I bought a digital one..... 10% . After misting 20% for about 3-4 minutes. Dumping water in allover 40% perfect for at least 2 hours. Except now my black top soil and coir is soaked.

So I bought sponges, little shallow bowls of water, and a humidifier for the room.

Its from 16% to 25% misted 2 times a day.

Ive read its suppose to be between 30-50%?

ALSO: There are certain covered areas in the enclosure that are good humidity and I soak him once a day.

Have I done enough? Summer is dying and cold fall is pretty much here .So he wont get to go outside much longer .

Thank you for your advice.
-Carl

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I don't know anything about Hermann's tortoises, so you can take my response or leave it. Well, you can do that anyway, even if I did know something. :p

I don't think having a humid environment is all that necessary for the Hermann's tortoise.

irishshake

5 Year Member
Calgary, Alberta
Haha yea. Ive heard that too. But Ive read about their wild life environment and it always seems to be in the 60s. Sadly when I hit 10-15% it worries me. And with some people saying that humidity is the cause of pyramiding for other species... It gets me wondering.

irishshake

5 Year Member
Calgary, Alberta
Maybe some pictures will help. I did not want to resort to covering it, but ... If I have too . Also I ditched the sponges they did not help any.

813d5a00.jpg

a7a9cfab.jpg

d68ff546.jpg

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
Humidity is very important for Hermann's tortoises. Where are you located? It seems odd that your ambient humidity is only 10-20% normally. Ideally for most Hermann's subspecies the ambient humidity should be in the 50-65%. A little lower is fine as long as the substrate is kept moist and drinking water is always available. A little higher is fine too, as long as the temperatures don't drop to low (below 60 degrees).

Edna

5 Year Member
Rawlins, Wyoming
cjcantelon said:
So I bought a analog hygrometer . It had said my humidity was 50-60% humidity . 80% after extensive misting.

Then I learned they are garbage.

So I bought a digital one.....

The digital ones can be crap, too. If your readings are unreasonable given the amount of water you're adding to your environment, I wouldn't trust the readings.

irishshake

5 Year Member
Calgary, Alberta
Interesting. I read that putting the probe in a bag of salt water should give a 75% reading after 8-12 hours so tomorrow I will see what its at.

Edna

5 Year Member
Rawlins, Wyoming
My digital hygro is much more responsive than that. It drops about 8 degrees when I open the lid of my incubator, then nudges back up to 76% within a few minutes of closing the lid again. If I spray water on the probe it goes to 99% very quickly.

irishshake

5 Year Member
Calgary, Alberta
Thats strange, what brand is it again sorry? I bought an Exo terra digital one; It is half hygrometer/ half thermometer. Maybe that is my problem....

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
You can buy reliable, inexpensive digital hygrometers in any hardware store or big box store (Lowe's, Home Depot, Wal-Mart). They're usually much less than any of the "pet shop" brands. I like Springfield model #91551. I've used these for years and am confident in them.

Edna

5 Year Member
Rawlins, Wyoming
cjcantelon said:
Thats strange, what brand is it again sorry? I bought an Exo terra digital one; It is half hygrometer/ half thermometer. Maybe that is my problem....

Mine is the Exoterra digital hygrometer. $16.99 from lllreptile.com

irishshake

5 Year Member
Calgary, Alberta
Well 8-12 hours later.... 56%

9b39cb62.jpg

Broken? Well, I got a gift card to Walmart so thats where I am headed today.

Status
Not open for further replies.