eastern box turtle permit process Ohio

Kenskings

5 Year Member
Came into control of an eastern box turtle that was in terrible condition in Ohio. Adult male that was lethargic with no appetite. Weighted 200g. Long story how I came into possession but was captive breed or long term captive was suppose to be a 3 toe box. After a long month of care turtle now weights 450g. Knowing that this species was on the species of concern list in Ohio I contacted Ohio wildlife officer and filed a permit to keep turtle. Ohio wildlife officer came to my home to check enclosure and discuss what to do next. He thanked me for my concern and contacting them. He asked if I had proof of ownership in which I did not. He told me he would have to discuss with his supervisor and get back to me within a week. He also asked if I would have any problem giving to a sanctuary if it came to that. I assured him I would do whatever he decides. Had great experience with Ohio wildlife. Not sure what will happen but I do know a great happy eastern box turtle has been saved.

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
San Jose CA
Bless your heart and best wishes to getting that permit to keep him. Thank you for share your story.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
I don't advoocate law breaking ( honest I don't) but I wonder how much trouble you would get in by not contacting, just a thought, not suggesting anything.

Prairie Mom

I don't advoocate law breaking ( honest I don't) but I wonder how much trouble you would get in by not contacting, just a thought, not suggesting anything.
I have to have permits of for some of the wild life I've worked with. Fines can be pretty hefty if word gets out from a neighbor etc and you don't have the permit. Also, there are incidents where animals can be taken away and dealt with in upsetting ways.

Prairie Mom

Came into control of an eastern box turtle that was in terrible condition in Ohio. Adult male that was lethargic with no appetite. Weighted 200g. Long story how I came into possession but was captive breed or long term captive was suppose to be a 3 toe box. After a long month of care turtle now weights 450g. Knowing that this species was on the species of concern list in Ohio I contacted Ohio wildlife officer and filed a permit to keep turtle. Ohio wildlife officer came to my home to check enclosure and discuss what to do next. He thanked me for my concern and contacting them. He asked if I had proof of ownership in which I did not. He told me he would have to discuss with his supervisor and get back to me within a week. He also asked if I would have any problem giving to a sanctuary if it came to that. I assured him I would do whatever he decides. Had great experience with Ohio wildlife. Not sure what will happen but I do know a great happy eastern box turtle has been saved.
I LOVE THAT YOU DID THIS! Great job! I also think you are setting a really good example here on the forum. I've had a lot of positive experiences with Game wardens etc and really hope that things work out for you and this turtle. Keep us posted!

TortsNTurtles

10 Year Member!
North East
Let me know how it goes and how easy or complicated it is. I live in another state so the process may be different. In the future would love in the future to consider doing this my self.

Kenskings

5 Year Member
If u can show proof of ownership ( i am thinking like proof of purchase that it was cb) permit is easier to obtain. If I had that they would of given me permit easier.

TortsNTurtles

10 Year Member!
North East
If u can show proof of ownership ( i am thinking like proof of purchase that it was cb) permit is easier to obtain. If I had that they would of given me permit easier.

Thanks. I wonder if its hard to get a permit if you don't have one.