eating commelina

Status
Not open for further replies.

Madortoise

5 Year Member
Okay. I caught Penelope munching on the leaves of this plant a couple of times this past week. As I mentioned, she has become voracious lately and eating things she never did before. They began to grow near our pots of tomatoes and other edible plants--no flowers just yet but when they get enough water, flowers will come out. I am familiar with this common weed as Japanese actually treasure it and writes poems about it...also uses them for tea ceremony because
of it's subtle beauty.
Nevertheless, my gut feeling says that it isn't good for tortoise.
Can someone tell me if it's safe for desert tortoise to eat these, or do I need to yank them out?

http://www.flickr.com/search/?q=Commelina communis&w=all&s=int&referer_searched=1

Thank you for your input in advance.

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Inland Empire, CA

Madortoise

5 Year Member
Crazy1 said:
I have something’s that have similar flowers in my garden. But I have always called them Wandering Jew or Spiderwort. They are of the same order and family.
Here is what I found so far.
spiderwort
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spiderwort
Commelina communis
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Commelina_communis

Oh and my torts love Siderwort and wandering jew (which are cousins).

Hi Robyn,

Thank you for the info. Yes, I looked up commelina communis on wikipeida also. Isn't it nice to have all those references? No one really has info out there about this being safe for tortoise, though.
Siderwort flowers sure look similar but the leaves are different. Commelina has curly leaves. If it's safe, I'd like to keep them as they are pretty. Glad to hear Siderwort is okay to eat and your torts love them.
....any one there who can deconstract the chemical compound??

I realize that I posted this in the wrong section. Can one of you moderators move this to Food section vs. plant ID?
thanks!

Madortoise

5 Year Member
Thank you, Robyn.
You are so resourceful. I sent the link to my chemist friend but I am doubtful as to whether she could cross over her knowledge to safety issues w/tortoise. Any tort experts here want to take a guess? I'd love to hear from you.

Madortoise

5 Year Member
Here's what my chemist friend who researches water quality in Orange County area wrote:

"I was not able to open the links that you sent me. I was able to find some information on D-Mannitol. I am not sure what percent of the plant is this compound or how big your tortoise is but apparently it effects the respiratory system. rats can eat a lot of it before it effects them. I could not find toxicity information on the other three components. I might think about pulling the weeds if he is eating a lot of them, or putting them out of the tortoise's reach. I hope this helps.
Diana"

I think I'll be keeping this weed/plant out of Penelope's way after all. Thanks, Candy.

Status
Not open for further replies.