Russian Tortoise not Eating

Rachel Sobran

Hi! My Russian tortoise, Caesar has not been eating lately, even his favorite food Romaine or dandelion flowers and leaves. When I first got him he had not eaten for almost 3 months and ate a wide range of foods, but has stopped eating foods that he once loved. Help!!!

lismar79

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Ohio USA
Have your temps changed at all? Try a warm bath with a jar of squash baby food in it.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
He must be able to warm himself under a basking area to over 85 to properly digest his food. Double check all temps. Also, try giving him a warm water soak, in a larger area like the tub so he can move around, maybe he needs to poop. The baby food soaks are not really for this problem, but if you want to try it, it won't hurt.

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Are you sure he's not eating when you're not looking?
Or could he be eating weeds outside?

Rachel Sobran

yes, no food is missing. and i live in massachusetts so it's cold and he stays inside until warmer weather.

I :<3: Caesar :tort:

johnsonnboswell

5 Year Member
How are you keeping him? Tell us about your set up, bulbs, temperatures, substrate, and all that

Rachel Sobran

loose coconut substrate, a ceramic heatlamp and a Zoo Med Mini Combo Deep Dome Lamp, lives in a tortoise palace
he was abused and didn't eat for several months until I got him, then he started eating again. soon after he relapsed

WillTort2

5 Year Member
What bulbs do you have in the deep domes?

For my Russians, I like to have a temperature swing from day to night. In the daytime the cool side will rise to about 75 degrees and the basking spots will be near 95 degrees. At night I like to have the temperatures drop to about 65 degrees with no direct heat in the enclosures. This range seems to spark their interest in food. Their lamps come on at about 7 am and the I feed them a about 8:30 am.

What is your humidity level?