Eating Cypress Mulch

Rowlet

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
SoCal
Hi Everyone,

I just changed my tortoise's substrate from sphagnum moss to cypress mulch. Now he is eating the cypress mulch.I used the search function and results show that sulcuta and Russian tortoises will be okay; but, can the Hermann's pass this through their system? Really concerned, because he is only about five months old.

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
Hi Everyone,

I just changed my tortoise's substrate from sphagnum moss to cypress mulch. Now he is eating the cypress mulch.I used the search function and results show that sulcuta and Russian tortoises will be okay; but, can the Hermann's pass this through their system? Really concerned, because he is only about five months old.
I'm not sure of care for this species and just wanted to bump your thread to the top.
Im pretty sure you should not allow him to eat cyprus mulch though. What color is your lighting and are you feeding him on a slate or rock and not the substrate.
@HermanniChris @Yvonne G @Tom should be able to help.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hi Everyone,

You need to figure out why your tortoise is eating the substrate.

Are you using any colored light bulbs?
Are you using the coil type UV bulbs?
What are you feeding your tortoise?
Any supplements? How often?

Rowlet

5 Year Member
SoCal
Hi

Can you post pictures of your enclosure and lighting please? It will help us to spot anything obvious.

What lighting are you using?

I'll try to post a pic tomorrow. Indoor enclosure is Sterilite underbed storage and the uvb strip is an arcadia set-up. The basking lamp is ceramic base bought from Lowes and the basking bulb 65 watt Sylvania indoor flood bulb.

Rowlet

5 Year Member
SoCal

Hi Tom,

No colored lights. My lighting set-up I posted above. I'm feeding him mixed greens and I have started feeding him testudo broadleaf mix from Tortoise Supply that I purchase at the Pomona reptile show.

Rowlet

5 Year Member
SoCal

The supplements I give the tortoise is Reptical calcium d3 with no phosphorous. As of today he stopped eating the cypress mulch. I've started feeding him more of the testudo mix and some endives which he really loves. Do you guys think he just needs more fiber?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hi Tom,

No colored lights. My lighting set-up I posted above. I'm feeding him mixed greens and I have started feeding him testudo broadleaf mix from Tortoise Supply that I purchase at the Pomona reptile show.

My best guess based on the above is that there has been a lack of fiber in the diet. The Testudo mix from Tyler will eventually help, but look for lots of other weeds and leaves instead of the grocery store greens. You can also add a soaked pellet or two of the ZooMed Grassland tortoise food and mix it all up with the day's greens.

Rowlet

5 Year Member
SoCal
My best guess based on the above is that there has been a lack of fiber in the diet. The Testudo mix from Tyler will eventually help, but look for lots of other weeds and leaves instead of the grocery store greens. You can also add a soaked pellet or two of the ZooMed Grassland tortoise food and mix it all up with the day's greens.

Thanks Tom. I'll look into the Zoomed Grassland food. I tried the Mazuri LS (soaked) and mixed it with chopped greens the tortoise sniff it and turn away.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Thanks Tom. I'll look into the Zoomed Grassland food. I tried the Mazuri LS (soaked) and mixed it with chopped greens the tortoise sniff it and turn away.

That is common. Many tortoises don't care for the LS version. Give the regular Mazuri a try.