Eating Moss

Status
Not open for further replies.

7oasty23

5 Year Member
My russian ate a bunch of his spaghum moss the other day I'm assuming. When I soaked him he passed a good chunk of it, not digested at all. Is this a serious problem? He hasn't eaten in a few days, but I also moved him to a new enclosure, and just got his temps right tonight.

7oasty23

5 Year Member
Anybody, the nearest vet is like an hour away, and I'll have to skip work tomorrow, but I'll bring him if needed.

theelectraco

5 Year Member
I would give him another nice soak and see if he passes more. He may not be eating from the cage change. Also make sure there is no more moss for him to eat again. Personally I don't think a vet is necessary just yet.

0.0.1 Red Foot
0.0.1 Crested Gecko
0.1.0 Dachshund

LolaMyLove

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Walnut Creek, Ca
I'm not an expert but I think it's ok. Keep giving him regular soaks and make sure all the temps are right for him and watch him for a few days, at least that is what I would do.

Also my RT eats his Timothy hay and passes it undigested a lot, it's normal.

Sent from my iPhone using TortoiseForum mobile app

7oasty23

5 Year Member
theelectraco said:
I would give him another nice soak and see if he passes more. He may not be eating from the cage change. Also make sure there is no more moss for him to eat again. Personally I don't think a vet is necessary just yet.

0.0.1 Red Foot
0.0.1 Crested Gecko
0.1.0 Dachshund

I already removed it, but I'm worried because I don't know how much he ate. He seemed to have a really hard time pushing it out.

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
Part of the advantage with using sphagnum moss in a humid hide is the fact that it is not toxic or harmful if eaten. I feel, and this is just me and the mouse in my pocket, that a vet visit would be not needed. That said, this only applies to untreated, non-dyed, natural sphagnum moss. Do you always have food available for eating in the enclosure?

kanalomele

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
East Bay area
I dont think you need a vet, not yet anyway. Soak it, then later soak it some more. If its having a hard time passing the sphagnum its probably because it has absorbed the moisture from the gut wall. So increasing hydration and get it exercising will help move things along.

rideburton87

5 Year Member
NW burbs, Illinois
I've seen my torts chomp on their sphagnum a few times and have had no problem with impaction. Although I do not keep it in the enclosures anymore because I dont think they should be eating it. There are two types of s. moss I suppose: one being almost dirt like and the other a stringy moss type. The type i'm talking about is the stringy moss type. Again like other people have stated the not eating my be due to the stress of moving to a new enclosure. But if you looking for an excuse to take a day off of work, seems pretty legit to me =P I know my boss would understand.

7oasty23

5 Year Member
Cowboy_Ken said:
Part of the advantage with using sphagnum moss in a humid hide is the fact that it is not toxic or harmful if eaten. I feel, and this is just me and the mouse in my pocket, that a vet visit would be not needed. That said, this only applies to untreated, non-dyed, natural sphagnum moss. Do you always have food available for eating in the enclosure?

Yep, I feed him before and after work. I'm hoping he's eaten some when I get home. He was actually awake and active when I woke up this morning.

rideburton87 said:
I've seen my torts chomp on their sphagnum a few times and have had no problem with impaction. Although I do not keep it in the enclosures anymore because I dont think they should be eating it. There are two types of s. moss I suppose: one being almost dirt like and the other a stringy moss type. The type i'm talking about is the stringy moss type. Again like other people have stated the not eating my be due to the stress of moving to a new enclosure. But if you looking for an excuse to take a day off of work, seems pretty legit to me =P I know my boss would understand.

Unfortunately I am the boss, so I'd have to get my assistant manager to cover for me.

7oasty23

5 Year Member
I've soaked him four times, and he's passed a chunk of moss every time I've soaked him. He's still not eating, and is really lethargic. It's been like 4 days, when should I bring him to a vet. And is there anything else I can do?

7oasty23

5 Year Member
7oasty23 said:
I've soaked him four times, and he's passed a chunk of moss every time I've soaked him. He's still not eating, and is really lethargic. It's been like 4 days, when should I bring him to a vet. And is there anything else I can do?

Anybody? I'm starting to get worried, he also has a black mark on his neck.

theelectraco

5 Year Member
Can you post a picture of the black mark? I would up the soaks to 3x a day if he may be that impacted with moss.

7oasty23

5 Year Member
ImageUploadedByTortForum1369967485.619978.jpg

Best pic I could get, only have my phone.

Last edited by a moderator:

7oasty23

5 Year Member
He also has not been hanging out under his uvb lately, could this have anything to do with him bot eating?

not. lol

theelectraco

5 Year Member
The UVB should near the basking bulb anyways so he can bask and get UVB at the same time. I would move it if possible. It's a good sign that he is still basking.

7oasty23

5 Year Member
I can move it tomorrow, If I start using a drill right now I'll wake up the whole house. Could this be causing his inactivity?

Also what do you make of the spot on his neck?

Status
Not open for further replies.