Tortoise with "stuffy nose"

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheTortbaby

5 Year Member
I recently got a russian tortoise about 2 days ago at a reptile show. He seemed healthy when I got him and his basking temps are 95 and the cool end is 72 during the day. He was first on cypress mulch and this morning I noticed he would not open his eyes and a bubble was coming out of his nose. I was thinking it was the cypress mulch. I removed it the moment that happend and I soaked him, thinking it was a respitory infection. Well, after soaking him he became much more active.
He still eats alot. and i mean ALOT! right now his substrate is peat moss. he seems all better now but everynow and then he makes this noise as if he had a stuffy nose. As I type he is munching on romaine. I would like to know what is wrong. Also, how moist should the peat moss be?

thanks

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
When a tortoise is stressed, which your new tortoise is because of the previous conditions...being at a show, and now being in a new habitat, they show the bubbly or runny nose. It is usually nothing to worry about. Instead of removing the cypress mulch (and be sure it really IS cypress mulch and not some sort of pine shavings) you can just moisten it to keep down the dust.

There might be something blocking his nares too. This would make it sound like he's having a hard time breathing. If this is the case, it would be right on the outside and you would be able to see (or not be able to see the nares).

Bottom line: Set up the habitat and don't fool with it. Let him settle in and get to know his new surroundings. If the closed eyes continue, you probably have a sick tortoise on your hands. Did you keep the name of the person you bought him from? They don't develop an illness that quickly.

TheTortbaby

5 Year Member
emysemys said:
When a tortoise is stressed, which your new tortoise is because of the previous conditions...being at a show, and now being in a new habitat, they show the bubbly or runny nose. It is usually nothing to worry about. Instead of removing the cypress mulch (and be sure it really IS cypress mulch and not some sort of pine shavings) you can just moisten it to keep down the dust.

There might be something blocking his nares too. This would make it sound like he's having a hard time breathing. If this is the case, it would be right on the outside and you would be able to see (or not be able to see the nares).

Bottom line: Set up the habitat and don't fool with it. Let him settle in and get to know his new surroundings. If the closed eyes continue, you probably have a sick tortoise on your hands. Did you keep the name of the person you bought him from? They don't develop an illness that quickly.

Thanks Yvonne. Turns out the cypress mulch was a cypress mulch mix. I have decided to switch to peat moss until my eco earth comes in. How moist should the peat be for humidity?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Russians can be kept on the dry side. I would moisten it a bit, then allow it to dry out during the day. I have never used peat moss for a tortoise, I've always thought it was too acidic to use for substrate, but I could be wrong.

TheTortbaby

5 Year Member
I think it might be the timothy hay. It did all start when I put the timothy hay in...

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Tortbaby:

You sent me a private message, however, you don't have your PM or email functions on the forum enabled, so I can't respond to the message.

Status
Not open for further replies.