Stuffy nose?

Kent B.

Location (City and/or State)
Mississippi
Hi! My Russians tortoise has had a stuffy nose for a couple of days now. It has gotten a little better but I’m still a little worried. Whenever I hold her close to my ear, it sounds like she just has a cold with nasal mucus. Surely it’s not a respiratory infection? Any ideas for treatment?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
It might simply be food or other debris stuck in the nasal passages. The pharmacy sells little squirt bottles of sterile saline in the contact lens department. Buy a couple to have on hand in your first aid kit. Firmly squirt some solution into each nostril. Don't worry about getting it in her lungs, as the other end of the nostrils is in the roof of the mouth.

Does she still have an appetite and is she acting otherwise normally?

Kent B.

Mississippi
It might simply be food or other debris stuck in the nasal passages. The pharmacy sells little squirt bottles of sterile saline in the contact lens department. Buy a couple to have on hand in your first aid kit. Firmly squirt some solution into each nostril. Don't worry about getting it in her lungs, as the other end of the nostrils is in the roof of the mouth.

Does she still have an appetite and is she acting otherwise normally?

She is acting normally but now that I think about it, she is eating, but not as much as usual.... and I will go get some.