stuffy/runny nose

Status
Not open for further replies.

turtlelady80

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Tortoise Farm
About 4 of my leopards have a stuffy/runny nose. They are having trouble breathing through their nostrils. My questions are how did they get this way, what should I do to fix it and what can I do to prevent from this from happening again? They are all eating like pigs, acting normal and all in good weight.

Katherine

5 Year Member
Sounds like an URI to me, I would separate them from any that still appear healthy, increase their temperature and get them to a vet at your earliest convenience. Hope it clears up quickly, goodluck!

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Hard to say for certain what can be going on? Has there been any change to the substrate? Are you using the humid enclosure method? If yes, what are your temps and humidity?

How could this happen? That is a tough question, I read back a bit in your posts and you mentioned someone had brought to your house a sulcata that was caughing like crazy? Was that tort anywhere near yours and/or possible handling each contamination????

I would up their temps, watch their eating and exercise pattern and would also be certain to keep them separate from your other colonies and be sure to really wash up between contacts.....warm em up and get them outside sun time (if possible where you are) and see if perhaps the snots will work themselves out....a visit to the vets to me is only going to be beneficial if you are planning on having them all tested to be sure they have an URI...because too many vets, in my opinion, just give antibiotics with out testing to see what the actual problem is.....I wish your torts a speedy turn around.... :D

Chicobeaks

5 Year Member
turtlelady80 said:
About 4 of my leopards have a stuffy/runny nose. They are having trouble breathing through their nostrils. My questions are how did they get this way, what should I do to fix it and what can I do to prevent from this from happening again? They are all eating like pigs, acting normal and all in good weight.

Up the temps. I had a similar situation which my last baby leopard. Many people try to keep the humidity up to combat pyramiding but don't keep a close enough eye on the temps. If it is damp and your night temp drops into the 70's you are asking for trouble. I'd say take them to a vet for a checkup, otherwise heat them up and dry them out until this passes. It took about 3 weeks for my Leopard to get better.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Respiratory infections are usually brought on by temps being consistently too low...

Chicobeaks

5 Year Member
turtlelady80 said:

How old are they and how big are they?

turtlelady80

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Farm
They are 2 years old. I have 6 total of this size. I upped the temp and humidity. I think what happened was that it was too dry and dusty and not warm enough. I thought the temp was high enough because its pretty warm in that room already but there is a lot of dry dirt in that room and when my female was digging, she was kicking up the dry dirt into the air and that's when I noticed that these little guys were having runny noses. I took them out of the "african room" and placed them in a different room with a higher wattage bulb and moist sphagnum moss and cypress.

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Have you noticed any changes since changing the temperatures and humidity?

Be sure to keep them very well hydrated. What are your temperature parameters? (Highs and lows)...Humidity?

Status
Not open for further replies.