Eating Moss

Status
Not open for further replies.

7oasty23

5 Year Member
theelectraco said:
Any update?

Still not eating, he hasn't passed anymore since yesterday, he's still really lethargic. Not really sure what to do at this point.

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Kingman, Arizona
So it's hard to tell from the picture, but is the dark spot like an old age spot on a human arm, or is it slightly purple in color?

7oasty23

5 Year Member
Cowboy_Ken said:
So it's hard to tell from the picture, but is the dark spot like an old age spot on a human arm, or is it slightly purple in color?

I'm colorblind, but it looks like a small injury, kinda like a bruise.

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
From here it almost looks like a blood blister or an injury from an impact. As for getting the gut tract working, movement of the limbs is key. If you could get it outside for a walk-a-bout in the sun for awhile then a soak, that should get things moving, gut tract wise. I'd soak often, a couple times a day while having the water level high enough he needs to work to stay up.
Mind you, if he ever seems distressed let some of the water out. And keep a constant eye on him.

7oasty23

5 Year Member
Cowboy_Ken said:
From here it almost looks like a blood blister or an injury from an impact. As for getting the gut tract working, movement of the limbs is key. If you could get it outside for a walk-a-bout in the sun for awhile then a soak, that should get things moving, gut tract wise. I'd soak often, a couple times a day while having the water level high enough he needs to work to stay up.
Mind you, if he ever seems distressed let some of the water out. And keep a constant eye on him.

I'll do that tomorrow, thanks for the advice. How long can they go without eating. I think he may have eaten a little today, but I wasn't sure. I've been trying romaine, because he normally destroys a plate of it.

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
They can go literally months without eating. That said, it is in no way good for them, and they need to be healthy to start. Have you tried a dandelion flower yet? Often those bright, yellow flowers will stir them to eat.

7oasty23

5 Year Member
Cowboy_Ken said:
They can go literally months without eating. That said, it is in no way good for them, and they need to be healthy to start. Have you tried a dandelion flower yet? Often those bright, yellow flowers will stir them to eat.

No, but I've tried fruit, mazuri, and spring mix. Anything to get him to eat. I think I'll bring him to a vet after a week goes by.

7oasty23

5 Year Member
Well he passed a bunch of moss when I soaked him, and he's actually walking around a little bit. He's not eating yet, but I think he's making some progress at least.

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
Passing stuff shows that internal systems are functioning as designed. This is good news.

7oasty23

5 Year Member
Cowboy_Ken said:
Passing stuff shows that internal systems are functioning as designed. This is good news.

He made a lap around his enclosure, before he went to bask after his soak. Most activity I've seen in a while. Hopefully he'll start eating once he's done passing moss. I'll never put it in his enclosure again.

7oasty23

5 Year Member
So I found out that you can get appointments with the Knoxville Zoo's reptile expert, so I'll hopefully be bringing him in for a checkup in the next couple of weeks.

7oasty23

5 Year Member
Looks like he ate some today while I was at work. Not sure if he did, but I'm fairly certain some was gone. Really stoked! I was starting to get worried.:)

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
7oasty23 said:
Looks like he ate some today while I was at work. Not sure if he did, but I'm fairly certain some was gone. Really stoked! I was starting to get worried.:)

Ok. That was 2 days ago. How are things progressing?

7oasty23

5 Year Member
Cowboy_Ken said:
7oasty23 said:

Ok. That was 2 days ago. How are things progressing?

Not great, he's slightly more active, but he's not eating much. He took a bite out of a few weeds on his walk today, but he maybe moved six inches. He's still drinking, and his neck seems to be slightly blue on the bottom. I'm gonna siak him with baby food tonight.

laney

5 Year Member
Aberdeen, Scotland
My little one year old Russian has a mark like that but it's been there as long as I can remember. I'd say its just a marking unless it suddenly appeared?

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
I would still do the routine you have been doing and don't back off ---slight signs of improvement should not change your routine right now, it took me several weeks of long (2+ hours) soaks 2 and 3 times a day along with constant pestering for the old man CDT here to clear his solid sand impaction....

Keep soaking, keep his enclosure a bit on the warmer side (80-83 constantly) while you are fussing with him during this time....also, I would try to offer him a bit of mineral oil in a bite size strawberry---the mineral oil will help lube him inside as well....

Can you take him outside in the sunlight and take a pic of that spot on his neck?

Status
Not open for further replies.