Eating Repti Chip

Solano

Location (City and/or State)
Lakewood
Good morning within the last 2 weeks I have noticed two occasions where my Russian Tortoise has big pieces of Repti Chip in his mouth both times I was able to grab it as it was sticking out so he doesn't swallow it but I'm afraid he will do this again when I'm not watching is this normal? Can this be harmful to him if he does actually swollow and eat it? He is provided fresh food and water daily and has a nice variety of different greens so I know he isn't hungry I'm just worried he can be harmed.

Last edited:

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
If you're using a red light, that makes the substrate look edible. Buy a product called Miner-All, mfg'd by Sticky Tongue Farms. It has minerals that are sometimes missing from a tortoise's diet.

Solano

Lakewood
If you're using a red light, that makes the substrate look edible. Buy a product called Miner-All, mfg'd by Sticky Tongue Farms. It has minerals that are sometimes missing from a tortoise's diet.
Thank you I don't have a red light and give him vitamins with his food as well so not sure why he has recently been trying to eat it. ill have to check out the Miner-All thanks for the advice I appreciate it ?