Edible outdoor plants and escape-proofing enclosures

PinkPine

Location (City and/or State)
Michigan
I'm new here and very glad I've joined - the conflicting information about tortoise care from various websites was enough to make my head spin. Please bear with me as I have a few questions regarding outdoor enclosures.

I have 2 Leopard torts, 1 Cherry Head Redfoot, and 1 Hermann(he is new- adopted about 2 months ago).

I live in the midwest, and my Leopards and Cherry Head each have their own outdoor pen to use during temperature-appropriate summer days. Their outdoor pens are set up on the grass. They enjoy grazing- especially my mini cows(Leopards). However, I plan on moving and expanding their pens. What nutritious things can I plant that will come back every year, besides dandelions? Can all of my torties have clover, and if so, does it matter if it's the red or white kind?

Also, I'm a new Hermann owner and my guy Barry loves to dig. He gets lots of extra substrate in his indoor pen to satisfy that itch. Since he will need his own outdoor enclosure, how do I make it Hermann-proof so he can't dig his way out? I live on the water, so him escaping could likely be fatal. I've never had to worry about my Leopards or Cherry Head trying to dig outside. They are content with plenty of hiding spots & a pile of food.

My last question- has anyone used Zoo Med excavator clay? I was wondering if it could be added in a small spot to the middle of my Hermann's outdoor pen, so he can safely dig without escaping.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Welcome and yes the info out there is not only confusing but most of it is wrong
As for your leopards, they should not be closed as a pair. One is bullying the other. Not if but is. They are living under stress being together and this will hinder their health and can hinder growth. Separate them ASAP if they are housed together. Of course never mix species.
As for food to grow, take a look at this site for safe edible plants and grow what will survive your area.
As for clover, I have both kinds that grows in my yards.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I used the zoo med excavator for my lizards and it didn't last long before it started to fall apart. I wouldn't waste my money on it.

PinkPine

Michigan
Welcome and yes the info out there is not only confusing but most of it is wrong
As for your leopards, they should not be closed as a pair. One is bullying the other. Not if but is. They are living under stress being together and this will hinder their health and can hinder growth. Separate them ASAP if they are housed together. Of course never mix species.
As for food to grow, take a look at this site for safe edible plants and grow what will survive your area.
As for clover, I have both kinds that grows in my yards.
Thank you for your reply. My Leopards are housed separately. I adopted them as a pair and I guess the previous owner kept them together for some reason.