Edible Succulent?

dawsonpan

Location (City and/or State)
CA
Hey everyone! I have a succulent and can't seem to find any species identification for it. I'm wondering if it's edible. I cross checked the Tortoise Table however its not listed there either, neither is it any of the harmful species. I see it quite often for sale so I assume its pretty common. Pictures are attached below :) Thanks~!

Attachments

• Succulent 1.jpeg
    Succulent 1.jpeg
    771.7 KB · Views: 17
  • Succulent 2.jpeg
    Succulent 2.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 16

Marshall77

Oregon
That looks like some kind of a sedum to me. I'll see if I can look it up I might have the spelling wrong.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Looks like the standard sedum “Hens and Chicks” kind of succulent. I’m sure it’s good to feed as long as no fertilizers or pesticides on it. Like other cactus/succulents - everything in moderation.

Marshall77

Oregon
Looks like the standard sedum “Hens and Chicks” kind of succulent. I’m sure it’s good to feed as long as no fertilizers or pesticides on it. Like other cactus/succulents - everything in moderation.
I don't think that's the kind of sedum am thinking of. But I do think it's a sedum probably easier to look up if sedum is toxic in general or edible.

dawsonpan

CA
hahaha you know that name was in the back of my head but I wasn't sure. Really good to know, thank you!

Marshall77

Oregon
It must be very low toxicity for some sites say humans can eat it other say humans can eat it but mite get a tummy ache. I think personally I'm going to scratch sedum from my list of acceptable things for the tortoise.

dawsonpan

CA
It must be very low toxicity for some sites say humans can eat it other say humans can eat it but mite get a tummy ache. I think personally I'm going to scratch sedum from my list of acceptable things for the tortoise.
Ohh alright. Definitely, I'll avoid that plant then. Thank you!

Mrs.Jennifer

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Norwich CT
Actually the traditional “hens and chicks” are sempervivums...

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
I don't think its hens and chicks - the leaves are too plump.
I have one in a pot. but no idea what its called - echeveria maybe?

Last edited:

dawsonpan

CA
I don't think its hens and chicks - the leaves are too plump.
I have one in a pot. but no idea what its called - echeveria maybe?
I think I'll stay on the safe side and just avoid the plant. Are echeveria species edible? I thought they're rounder looking like a flower though. But so many species its hard to tell sometimes ?