edible wild flowers?

Status
Not open for further replies.

taurusgi

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
CA
Hello, I got some free wild flower mix seeds when I purchased some weed seeds from Turtlestuff.com. I finally saw them blooming started yesterday! :)

I assume that since I got the flower seeds from "turtle"stuff.com, they should be edible for my turtles, right? :p Could anyone tell me if the flowers and leaves are safe to feed my Hermann's? I just want to double check since they look so pretty and almost make me feel like they are not safe... haha.

I tried to email turtlestuff.com directly but I kept getting error message... Hopefully someone with more experience here can help me out. :tort:

Thank you! :)

kiki

04.27.12 more wild flower.jpg04.26.12 wild flower.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
The first looks like lupin which is poisonous - but I'm prepared to be corrected.

I don't know the second

taurusgi

5 Year Member
CA
04.27.12 more wilde flower-2.jpg04.26.12 wild flower-2.jpg

oh no! If it's lupin, i fed my Hermanns some of the leaves before. Luckily only 3 or 4 times in the last 2 months.
I just looked it up lupin:
http://www.thetortoisetable.org.uk/site/plants_19.asp?mode=main&catID=344

Mine seems to have less leaves than in the picture, also the flowers are not that tall... but maybe I should just stop feeding them just in case.

Thank you JoesMum. I'm attaching 2 more pictures from a different angle. Hopefully it would help the identification.

thanks,
kiki

Last edited by a moderator:

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Lupins are actually in the pea family and some peas are edible (the obvious) and some aren't (lupins, vetch)

That first one looks like a pea flower and the leaves look like lupin. I don't think a tortoise seed company would risk anything that might be harmful.

The second flower looks like bindweed, or a squash of some sort, but I don't recognise the leaves

Tyrtle

5 Year Member
Arvada, Colorado
I agree the first one looks like lupine. I believe the second one is a type of malva or mallow which is a relative of hollyhock and distant relative of the hibiscus.

redbeef

5 Year Member
first one is definitely lupine

second one might be a type of clarkia...hard to say, though. which leaves go w/the plant: looks like you've got a mix of stuff in there, among which are some clarkia spp and california poppy

taurusgi

5 Year Member
CA
Thank you guys for the reply! Yea I got the wild flower mix for free when I purchased some other weed seeds from turtle stuff.com, so I have no idea what was in the mix... Maybe I'll just remove them all and start over again by planting something else just to be safe! :p it's a shame though because the flowers are so pretty!

Status
Not open for further replies.