Egg bound box turtle?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kimber_lee_314

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
So Cal
One of my three toeds has been digging test nests for two weeks, but she never lays the eggs. Every night she starts digging, often changing locations a few times, and then abandons the nest around 2 AM. I'm worried that she may be egg bound. I have no experience with this, so I'm not sure what all to look for. She is still very active and hasn't lost any weight. She appears to still be eating. She is walking normally.

This is the first year I've had this girl. She was living in an aquarium before I got her. This may be the first time she ever laid eggs, or laid eggs in many years.

I'm starting to worry about her a bit. Those of you who have had experience with egg bound turtles, can you tell me what to look for? Has anyone else ever had a turtle dig 14 or more test nests? Thanks for your advice!

yagyujubei

5 Year Member
Amish Country
Sometimes, they can be very picky about the site. Try digging up an area, fill it back in. Water it if it's not moist. Maybe this will interest her.

Leopard Tortoise Lover 16199

5 Year Member
I heard that if she is acting normally, she is most likely fine. But if she starts acting tired, not eating, not walking, etc..go to the vet. Maybe make sure theres enough substrate and suitable egg laying area. Good luck! :)

diamondbp

10 Year Member!
What's the ground like in the spots where she is digging? She may be hitting roots, rocks, etc. some of mine are very picky about where they choose to lay

kimber_lee_314

10 Year Member!
So Cal
It's just regular soil. I've had several others lay eggs in the same enclosure with no issues. I took her out tonight and let her loose in the yard. She started digging a nest in the grass - so hopefully tonight is the night!

thea lester

5 Year Member
New Orleans, LA
Totally understand your dilemma! I wouldn't worry unless she stops eating and walks funny. I'm going through this nightmare with my Sophia. It's still debatable as to whether she's eggbound or not. Even had x-rays, which were inconclusive.
Best wishes!
T

kimber_lee_314

10 Year Member!
So Cal
thea lester said:
Totally understand your dilemma! I wouldn't worry unless she stops eating and walks funny. I'm going through this nightmare with my Sophia. It's still debatable as to whether she's eggbound or not. Even had x-rays, which were inconclusive.
Best wishes!
T

Thanks! She didn't lay them last night either even though she had the whole yard to choose a spot. She dug a nest - left it - and then returned to dig some more. Then she went to a corner and went to bed around 2 AM. I made an appointment for next Wednesday - hopefully she'll lay them before then.

Keeblercop

5 Year Member
Hi, Kimber. We both had some girls digging and laying the same night! :) I had 1 successful (1st time seeing/digging) that night and 1 the following night...the girl I referred to previously in your post kept digging and digging, would stop around 2 am, then she finally found a suitable site and laid (I think). Prior to the laying, she ate very well and was very active. Now, even though she still eats well, she is not as active. I do not have much experience with this yet, but hope this helps relieve your worries. She would spend hours digging, then abandon.

kimber_lee_314

10 Year Member!
So Cal
Keeblercop said:
Hi, Kimber. We both had some girls digging and laying the same night! :) I had 1 successful (1st time seeing/digging) that night and 1 the following night...the girl I referred to previously in your post kept digging and digging, would stop around 2 am, then she finally found a suitable site and laid (I think). Prior to the laying, she ate very well and was very active. Now, even though she still eats well, she is not as active. I do not have much experience with this yet, but hope this helps relieve your worries. She would spend hours digging, then abandon.

Thank you! It's been over 2 weeks now - just hoping it'll happen one of these nights. She's at it again tonight. Keeping my fingers crossed.

turtleluv88

5 Year Member
I know how your feeling. I had one of my ornates dig holes every night for almost 2 months. I brought her to the vet after she stopped digging the holes and had laid nothing. I thought for sure that she would give her oxytocin injections but since she was still eating and otherwise acting fine nothing was done. A week after the vet visit she laid one enormous egg on top of the soil. I have even had my red eared sliders take a long time for lay. I would bring her outside every day for weeks and to different locations. Don't lose hope. I know it can make you worried sick. Good luck.

kimber_lee_314

10 Year Member!
So Cal
turtleluv88 said:
I know how your feeling. I had one of my ornates dig holes every night for almost 2 months. I brought her to the vet after she stopped digging the holes and had laid nothing. I thought for sure that she would give her oxytocin injections but since she was still eating and otherwise acting fine nothing was done. A week after the vet visit she laid one enormous egg on top of the soil. I have even had my red eared sliders take a long time for lay. I would bring her outside every day for weeks and to different locations. Don't lose hope. I know it can make you worried sick. Good luck.

Thanks for your advice! It has been 18 days now - and she digs at least one nest every night. She is still eating, walking ... etc with no issues. I have a vet appointment on Wednesday if she hasn't laid them by then.

Status
Not open for further replies.