Egg laying

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fernando

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
How deep will a female lay her eggs?

Can she compact the dirt above the eggs so hard that it feels as though she never dug there?

What is the best technique to look through the dirt for eggs?

Will she cover a hole back up EVEN if she didn't lay any?

Sorry if I'm not using the proper tortoise terms for this topic. :]

onarock

5 Year Member
Hawaii
My leopards lay as deep as their hind legs can reach and then some. They get almost verticle in the hole reaching down one leg at a time.

They will dig holes not lay and walk awah leaving a hole. Mine have never done this after digging a hole deep enough to lay in but they do dig shallower test holes.

Yes when they burry the eggs it is really well compacted. If hou let the area dry for a couple days it will be rock hard.

If she lays and you dont see her do it but you suspect a disturbed looking area as being a nest, you can dig them up carefully.

Fernando

10 Year Member!
Southern California
Hmmm the experience I had today was that the female russian. She made a hole and was, like you said, vertical in the hole almost half of her body. This took place whIle I was at work. My mom called me to tell me that she thought the female was trying to dig out some how and escape...so she pulled her out. She said that the Russian dug around some other spots but then went back to the hole again so she left her alone. When she came back the hole was filled and the female was sniffing around the filled hole and dropped a deuce on it. When I got home from work I swung by my moms and dug the hole up slowly, only the parts that were soft, until I got to a very firm part. I couldnt go any deeper unless I dug my fingers in really hard or used a shovel...

I figured this was a test spot but couldn't help but wonder why she would have dug it back up.

Or I should say filled it back up

bikerchicspain

5 Year Member
spain
What I do is when an area has been disturbed and I think she may have laid eggs i use a paint brush to brush away the dirt, just in case there are eggs.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I dig with a spoon, a bit at a time. When they dig test holes, they usually don't cover them up.

bikerchicspain

5 Year Member
spain
Hijacking your thread sorry.

My eggs that mini laid way back when, remember I thought I had boiled them because the thermostat broke, well I waited for 10 weeks and then did the candle test, nothing just a yolk that was on it's way to being salmonella, what a stink.
Not sure if they were fertile or I just boiled them,

Oh well live and learn, better luck next time,

Sorry fernandom, good luck

Fernando

10 Year Member!
Southern California
emysemys said:
I dig with a spoon, a bit at a time. When they dig test holes, they usually don't cover them up.

Yeah that's what I don't get. But we dug down until the dirt was solid. I don't know if they are capable of getting it THAT firm.

And only a couple hours had passed before I got there.

That worries me...I might have to go back there and dig it up again.

jwhite

5 Year Member
west milwaukee,wi
Fernando, I have three laying females and two of them really pach the earth in around the eggs. I just slowly push the soil out of where I think she laid making the hole a little wider each time until I find them. So to answer your question they can really pack the soil down.

Jon

jackrat

5 Year Member
Hamburg,AR
My females usually don't cover test holes,but occasionally one will go through the whole process of filling it back in.Mine ,as a general rule pack the dirt back in tightly.A young Colombian I have will even push leaves and twigs over the site,making it hard to find,even if you know where it is.Just keep your eyes on her,it looks like you might be getting some eggs soon.I have no idea about Russians,but a good rainshower(or the sprinklers) will often trigger my redfoots to drop eggs.

Fernando

10 Year Member!
Southern California
Interesting. Yeah, like I said she pooped on the spot and went back to sniff around. I'm almost positive that I hit rock bottom considering her size and how deep she could have gone. But that is the beauty of these creatures...they suprise us all sometimes.

Let's say she did lay last night...would the eggs have survived the day?

I won't be off of work until 6:00 pm pacific time. If she layed them it would have been 3pm yesterday.

onarock

5 Year Member
Hawaii
The eggs, if layed last night should be fine. I was off island working yesterday and I just got home to discover some of the eggs that I dug up at least a week or 2 after they were layed were hatching. I got 1 completely out and another should be out tonight or tomorrow. I think that if you dug down a few inches and then hit rock hard dirt then chances are it a false alarm. Just keep an eye on her and see what she does over the next couple of days. Make sure she has plenty of water at her disposal (very important). If she went through the trouble of digging yesterday without laying chances are she passed fluid through her system to help soften the nesting site for easy digging and it needs to be replaced. Good luck

Fernando

10 Year Member!
Southern California
onarock said:
The eggs, if layed last night should be fine. I was off island working yesterday and I just got home to discover some of the eggs that I dug up at least a week or 2 after they were layed were hatching. I got 1 completely out and another should be out tonight or tomorrow. I think that if you dug down a few inches and then hit rock hard dirt then chances are it a false alarm. Just keep an eye on her and see what she does over the next couple of days. Make sure she has plenty of water at her disposal (very important). If she went through the trouble of digging yesterday without laying chances are she passed fluid through her system to help soften the nesting site for easy digging and it needs to be replaced. Good luck

She's at it again! Same spot. I just got a call that she's digging in the same spot. I filled the two water bowls this morning...wish i called out!

Any local California members willing to incubate these eggs (if she has any)??

onarock

5 Year Member
Hawaii
No worries FernandoM. I use Yvonnes spoon method when digging, just be patient and it will all work out. Like the tortoises themselves there is no big hurry. You'll get it. Just take note of where they are layed. Do you have an incubator ready? Is there any reason to suspect that these eggs might not be fertile?

Fernando

10 Year Member!
Southern California
Negative. No incubator. I don't know in regards to fertility, she's a new female (loaner). I can only say she is really healthy and really big.

I called a local pet shop and the owner said he'd be willing to incubate the eggs for the cost of HALF of the eggs...It might be my last resort right now. Assuming she lays.

onarock

5 Year Member
Hawaii
Has she ever been kept with other adult males? Make your own incubator or buy a Little Giant (around $50-60) Hawaii prices, might be cheaper in cali. Check craigslist or start a thread asking if other socal members have ones they are not usning.

FernandoM said:
Negative. No incubator. I don't know in regards to fertility, she's a new female (loaner). I can only say she is really healthy and really big.

I called a local pet shop and the owner said he'd be willing to incubate the eggs for the cost of HALF of the eggs...It might be my last resort right now. Assuming she lays.

Fernando

10 Year Member!
Southern California
onarock said:
Has she ever been kept with other adult males? Make your own incubator or buy a Little Giant (around $50-60) Hawaii prices, might be cheaper in cali. Check craigslist or start a thread asking if other socal members have ones they are not usning.

FernandoM said:

Yes. She has been with other males according to the owner. That is a great idea. I'll try that! Thanks!

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
She was with my male for about 6 weeks or so

AdamR

5 Year Member
Half the eggs??? I'm in te wrong business! I would say go buy a reptibator or just make one!

Status
Not open for further replies.