Success

Jodie

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Spokane Valley WA
Scarlett has been having a hard time adjusting to laying eggs inside. She laid 2 clutches outside in Aug and September with no problems, no rest hole, just dig n lay. Then in October she had to come in for the winter. Her enclosure has a nice deep nesting area, but she didn't like it. She dug once but walked away. Then she just dropped the eggs at the end of October. Last month she dug a couple times, but didn't lay she dropped the 4 th clutch in her water dish.
The simplest thing I could adjust was the moisture. Both times outside she laid in a very dry area, so I stopped adding water to her nest area.
Today she dug a hole and laid 8 eggs. No fuss. Yeah!

diamondbp

10 Year Member!
Scarlett has been having a hard time adjusting to laying eggs inside. She laid 2 clutches outside in Aug and September with no problems, no rest hole, just dig n lay. Then in October she had to come in for the winter. Her enclosure has a nice deep nesting area, but she didn't like it. She dug once but walked away. Then she just dropped the eggs at the end of October. Last month she dug a couple times, but didn't lay she dropped the 4 th clutch in her water dish.
The simplest thing I could adjust was the moisture. Both times outside she laid in a very dry area, so I stopped adding water to her nest area.
Today she dug a hole and laid 8 eggs. No fuss. Yeah!
Awesome news. It's been really wet down here in Louisiana the last week so I'm brainstorming for ways to prepare a more attractive nesting sight for my upcoming 4th clutch in a few weeks.
Thanks for the update!

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Cool! It sounds like you've got a fully functional leopard factory going.

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
Probably...
This is Scarlett.
0919151006b.jpg
20150809_222019.jpg
This is Nia. She has not been mated yet. I just for her last summer.
0823151312b.jpg
And my little male with Scarlett.
0521151606a.jpg

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
Jodie is there a thread with pictures of your adults? I love seeing adults
Oops the 1st and 3rd are Nia. She is slightly bigger than Mort, about 6 pounds. Scarlett is 20 pounds. That is her nesting and with my male.

diamondbp

10 Year Member!
Oops the 1st and 3rd are Nia. She is slightly bigger than Mort, about 6 pounds. Scarlett is 20 pounds. That is her nesting and with my male.
Beautiful leopards. So your little male is the one getting the job done? It's fascinating how there can be such a size difference and yet still successfully breed

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
Beautiful leopards. So your little male is the one getting the job done? It's fascinating how there can be such a size difference and yet still successfully breed
I am not sure it was him. I don't know her history beyond a year ago. She had to have surgery right after I got her to remove broken eggs and repair her uterus. I don't know if she could have had retained sperm after that or not. She was only with my male twice for short periods. I didn't intend to breed her this year to give her time to recoup. She busted into his enclosure last spring before I got smarter than her. So to me both possible explanations for babies this year seem unlikely. Probably never know.