Is digging normal for Leopards?

Jodie

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Spokane Valley WA
Scarlett had surgery about 3 weeks ago to remove broken and unsolidified eggs. She has been doing well. When I got home today she had dug a hole in the substrate of her indoor enclosure. I didn't see her digging. Do they dig for other reasons than nesting?IMG_20141112_160023.jpg

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I have seen my male leopard barely dig with front feet, but not what I would call a hole. More like getting wrinkles out of the sheets kinda thing, if you get my drift. More like trying to get tight in the corner, so they keep moving their front legs, which kinda looks like digging.

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
Can you tell if she dug with her front legs? Or back legs?
I can't. I have never seen a hole dug with front feet. The plastic just to the left of the hole in the pic is the entrance to her hide. If she was half in her hide this could have been dug with back. I don't know how she could have done this with front. I emailed the vet and she says it is possible, but very unlikely she has eggs again this soon after major surgery. Thanks for the quick responses. Guess I will just wait n stress again.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Not usually. When its time to settle down they will find a nice bush and scootch (scientific term) back and forth until they have made a little depression to lay in. If your tortoise dug a hole it was probably for nesting. She may have some left-over urges from when she had the eggs.

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
Not usually. When its time to settle down they will find a nice bush and scootch (scientific term) back and forth until they have made a little depression to lay in. If your tortoise dug a hole it was probably for nesting. She may have some left-over urges from when she had the eggs.
That makes sense. I sure hope it is just left over urges. Can't imagine her uterus is healed enough to lay. The vet fixed a tear from her trying to lay the broken eggs. This may cure me from taking rescues. Although to be fair, they have all caused me significant amount of worry at one time or other.