Female Leopard is acting strange.

Jodie

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Spokane Valley WA
Scarlett is a 20 pound leopard tortoise. I got her last fall as a rescue. Shortly after had to have surgery to remove broken eggs. She has to winter indoors and is not outside yet. All winter she has had a fairly regular routine and regular bowel movements. Her diet has not changed, nothing has been changed in her enclosure. Not true, I added a Kane mat in her hide a month or so ago. A couple of weeks ago, she had a couple of pretty soft stools, and now is constipated. She poops very small amounts every four or five days. She is soaked four times a week, and had been going every soak.
This is very similar to when she was egg bound last year. She has been eating exceptionally well, and is much more active the last week or so. She has also been self soaking regularly which she never used to do. Is it normal for bowels and behavior to change when they are developing eggs? Does this indicate a problem? Is there something else that could be wrong?

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
Thanks Heather. Me too. The vet didn't think she would produce eggs for several years after the surgery. This poor girl has been through enough.

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
Well xrays did not show any eggs. Has anyone noficed a change in their tortoise before developing eggs? Any thoughts?
This is one of the pictures they took today.
Scarlett Verhaag 2.jpg

teresaf

5 Year Member
Port Charlotte, Florida
Her spine looks weird? Maybe it's supposed to so don't freak out. i've never seen a tortoise xray. cool