Stupid tortoise!

Jodie

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Spokane Valley WA
Scarlett is a 20 pound female leopard tortoise. I rescued her in 2014. She was egg bound, and had to have surgery Oct 2014. Aug 2015 She started laying eggs. She has always been very predictable.
This year she laid her 1st clutch in Sept. I moved them inside early Oct to a new bedroom enclosure with a 6 foot by 4 foot nesting are. She wasn't happy.
Xrays in Nov showed 9 eggs. Decided as long as she was eating and doing ok to wait and see. She has always laid in the evening! So I knew I would know if she did. As it is Dec now, I have been more and more worried. Rearranging things and trying to make her happy. We have had numerous long talks. Bought a new big plant today to try to create cover hoping it might help. Start to dig, and guess what I find? She has been acting gravid agajn, so she nested in secret at least 3 weeks ago.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
The females are the worse! The only one I always have to worry about is my female. The males are always active, eats, self soaks. Even in winter when all have slowed a bit and even eat less, the males are still worry free. The only thing about them, the males, they are pigs. They have to destroy their water, not just soak, but they make sure they go in and out enough to really pack it with dirt. LOL
The female, well, she makes me worry all the time.
I guess they just have to keep us guessing or they are trying to tell us they are the ruler of all:mad:

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Well, I hate to be Mrs. Obvious, but if YOU were the one who didn't see the nesting, seems to me that YOU are the "stupid" one. :D

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
Well, I hate to be Mrs. Obvious, but if YOU were the one who didn't see the nesting, seems to me that YOU are the "stupid" one. :D
Huh! Made me laugh out loud, then pout. My husband told me several times needed to dig around, so I guess you may be right. The only defense I have is that she has been so predictable in the past. Besides we have talked numerous times. She could have told me. Mostly I am just very glad she is not bound.

Slow and steady

S.E. Florida
She has been acting gravid agajn, so she nested in secret at least 3 weeks ago.

What are some signs of acting gravid? I have a female, and aside from getting really heavy(which can usually change with a big poo ;), adding to my uncertainty) and obviously making some test digs, what else might they do to cue you in?

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
Scarlett paces, and bangs into the walls for several days to a week. She is usually fairly mellow. She also drinks a lot more.
My other female does not show much change. It is very subtle with her.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Sometimes they act like they want to breed another tortoise. Sometimes they pick fights. They act restless.

Slow and steady

S.E. Florida
Sometimes they act like they want to breed another tortoise. Sometimes they pick fights. They act restless.
Thanks Yvonne. The restless part I've seen, usually as mine is looking for a dig site. As for the rest, she's been solo for 12 years. Maybe that's why she's been giving one of my flowerpots the stinkeye?o_O

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
Women can be so temperamental :) Scarlet is just messing with you as usual. It is her MO. She likes to watch you gsecond-guess yourself.

MPRC

5 Year Member
Oregon

I've never heard this before. I was surprised to see one of my smaller females humping my largest while she sat idly by stuffing her face. Wonder if it's a sign of things to come and not a sign of agression.